The Next World Tarot deck celebrates diversity in a dystopian future

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/24/the-next-world-tarot-deck-cele.html

1 Like

not really my genre (even if I am drawing tarot deck sets) and, as personal opinion, I found the “illustrations” badly done and distasteful, sorry…

1 Like

Beautiful. I need to get the deck, or the book, to know how they’ve done certain cards. This is on my list for when I get some mad money.

2 Likes

What if there is no universal order, and all that is is a slippery slope, towards things like flat earth and Qanon?

1 Like

It depends on the kind of New Age Woo we are talking about. Some are obviously harmful. Some, like Out of Body Experiences and Lucid Dreams are fun to practice, and at least in my case didn’t lead to anything more hardcore. For me it was also very therapeutic, in a way that I guess psychedelics are for some people.

1 Like

No, that stuff is mostly harmless and fun. I was explicitly referring to searching for a universal order. That’s where one opens up for the dangerous stuff.

1 Like

I agree completely, and the same can be extrapolated to most religions. People seek justifications for horrible and random things happening, and so it becomes “God’s punishment” or “Karmic retribution” or other kind of victim blaming. People also become easy to manipulate:

1 Like

Like many other non Rider-Waite decks, before I purchased one, I’d like to see how closely the imagery fit with my own inner geography. When I read Tarot cards, I mainly used them as a tool to interpret my own subconscious cues as well as what I picked up from others.

3 Likes

I used to really like dystopia, but now it’s become so common in every media that it kind of depresses me.

2 Likes

Brutal hierarchys of control and exploitation can take over any type of thing. The idea that the universe is an inherently spiritual thing is no exception. The question of whether something is woo or not is less important then who is behind it and how do they benefit from your belief. Is it being used as a method of control or liberation? This is true of not just woo stuff but of any way of thinking.

1 Like

Once you start believing extraordinarily complex made up things like the celestial bodies influencing (or at least reflecting) one’s destiny, you basically practice accepting crap without proof. Therefore you will fall prey to other made up crap. The “hierarchies of control and exploitation” are merely taking advantage of this.

1 Like

Not really my genre either but I found something moving in these images that made me think. So…

Not sure why you are posting other than to display your disgust. The “bad” Illustrative technique as a justification is saying more about personal aesthetics than providing any proper criticism.

2 Likes

does “my personal own opinions” counts in comment or not?
I am an illustrator too, always curious to find in other artist some good one (and there are plenty, even better than me). This tarot set does not bright me. This does not mean that others will appreciate the “technique” adopted by the author… thanks

Sincerely sorry for the way I wrote my comment. The thing I wanted to comment about was your use of the word “distasteful” as this can be read as a moral position on the content of an image.

no problem, me too I regret to have used that term, my bad. Thanks to make me notice it!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.