A teeny, tiny Raspberry Pi computer

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/06/a-teeny-tiny-raspberry-pi-com.html

Now they tell me! I was gravely dissapointed in the version two, it tasted nothing like raspberries at all. I was hoping they’d improved this problem in the new version, but now there’s this disclaimer. Harumph!

7 Likes

crunchy and low-carb. what else do you want?

2 Likes

Did you put it in the microwave it first?

6 Likes

Got a version 1 model b runs very slowly as far as I can see.

2 Likes

Version 1 model B (and model A is worse) is pretty underwhelming but it’s not really made to be a full computer replacement. Version 2 and 3 are a lot spiffier if you’re looking for more processing power. None of them are really made to be PC replacements but they’re a lot more powerful than most of the hobby boards (like Arduino, Adafruit, Teensy, etc.).

Depending on what you want it for, it’s exactly the right tool (or maybe a even a bit overboard) at an good price.

It’s great for things like building a midi synthesizer, directing complicated robots, building an internet kiosk, learning Linux without halving your available hard drive space, or doing some light end web services or file sharing inside your house … anything you don’t need a full PC for which can’t be run on Teensy. Other manufacturers make competitors too. I’m not advertising. :laughing:

If you’re looking for something a bit more powerful which isn’t a full PC, Microsoft and Intel are making some interesting stuff. Generally not as cheap and you’ll usually lose things like built in ethernet and GPIO. If I was going that route, I’d probably build a Mini-ITX computer instead just because of the added flexibility.

What I’m doing is best suited to 4-5 Raspberry Pi 3s (playing around with load balancing, reverse proxy and Node.js development without spending a few thousand dollars or renting something at a colocation facility I might not have the skills to fully utilize anytime soon). Might not work for your purposes though. :sweat:

2 Likes

The Raspberry Pi is supposed to be an educational computer, they’re meant to be a successor to the BBC Micro (30 years late, admittedly). Of course, as they are a general purpose computer people aren’t limited to only using them for that.

I used to wish I had a BBC when I was growing up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.