Here's the new $25 Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/16/heres-the-new-25-raspberry.html

2 Likes

And holy cow, you can buy it now :smiley:
Now all I need to do is invent some excuse to need another computer in my life. Thanks for recharging my geek battery, Mark.

4 Likes

I was about to pull the trigger on a 3B+, which is only $10 more, and relegate my old Pi to driving my work projector. Now that i have a choice, I’ll probably buy neither.

4 Likes

I’ve often wondered at their incomprehensible model numbering:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Raspberry-Pi-SYSBench-Benchmarks.jpg

Feels kinda like they are winging it on the names.

They should follow Apple and release a Raspberry Pi X.

They should follow Microsoft and release a Raspberry Pi One.

4 Likes

They are attempting to re-use BBC micro model names. Or at least make new ones that sound a bit like them (I don’t think a “BBC Micro model 0” let alone 0w existed).

Yeah, it could be less confusing.

Translation key:
The ‘A’, ‘B’, and ‘Zero’ refer to form factors.
A has one USB port and a populated GPIO header and no ethernet.
B has four USB ports and a populated GPIO header and has ethernet.
Zero has one USB port, an unpopulated GPIO header and no ethernet.

Plus versus no plus indicates a change from the old 26 pin GPIO to the new 40 pin.

A models have half the memory of B models.

The problem here is that the Pi 2 should be called the Pi 2B+. The Pi 3 should have been called the Pi 3B+. Finally, the Pi 3B+ should have been called the Pi 4B+ --leaving the Pi 3A+ as the Pi 4A+.

What a mess.

2 Likes

Not to mention different subversions is each model to further confuse things. I have an original Model B that I use as a Pi Hole server on my network but it’s the v2 Model B (not to be confused with the Pi 2 Model B). Don’t even get me started on how much of a pain this makes web search relevance for something specific to your model.

They couldn’t have much of a worse modeling nomenclature if they tried.

2 Likes

Here’s my fave, a different effing processor!

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.2

• Previous versions of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B use the BCM2836 SoC, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor.

(Did they run out of the old chip in the middle of a production run?)

1 Like

Thanks for the comprehensive explainer, still a huge fan, model numbers notwithstanding.

BTW, there was a Raspbian update yesterday.

I completely missed that happening! Holy cow. Seems the older SoC went EOL and they had to scramble to replace it. Taking the same SoC as the 3 and underclocking it to match the clock speed of the 2? Strange.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.