A Thanksgiving Prayer from William S. Burroughs

You can enjoy writing regardless of its source! “Words build bridges into unexplored regions” as someone or other once said.

I wonder if Joan Vollmer would have had anything interesting to say too. Guess we’ll never know though.

3 Likes

I’m shitting on him right now!

5 Likes

… unfortunately, mostly in the sense that the far right has figured out how to détourne them

WSB being rehabilitated as a Qanon hero in 3 2 1 …

3 Likes

Who cares about some dead chick! She’s not a genius man! /s

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

WSB will never be “rehabilitated” by the right, because he was a fag and a junky.

WSB was a privileged rich white man in a very privileged time for rich white men. He escaped consequences for his drug-addled murder because of this. He also escaped persecution for his sexuality and addiction because of this.

WSB wrote some really cutting edge books criticizing the establishment and was embraced by rebels in the 60’s and onward for his writings.

WSB was a “character” - a kooky old guy with a distinct voice that said interesting stuff that sounded great sampled in a track.

Personally I liked his writings, loved his voice, and find his personal history problematic of course, in ways that are very American, and very Burroughsian

5 Likes

To be fair, there are a number of gay men who embrace far right politics, even though it seeks to eliminate sexual minorities. I can see the right embracing Burroughs as a way to give themselves a veneer of authenticity. Would not be the first time the right attempted to claim a countercultural icon who would not agree with their politics.

4 Likes

… and yet all may be forgiven if anything he said can be construed as against “liberals” or “elites”

Much of what he said about politics amounts to “leave me alone, mind your own damn business,” which is red meat for anti-gubmint righties now

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.