A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Not to mention the possibility of being criminally investigated after a miscarriage. There are women in prison in the US right now (and they were before the Texas law) for having miscarriages.

Graphic description of miscarriage to vent my anger

When my partner miscarried I went home from the hospital to clean the blood off the floor so it wouldn’t be there when they came home. Unless a person thinks I should have been charged with evidence tampering, they should fuck right off with these criminal abortion laws.

My understanding of that case is that the agents knowingly filed a false report. At what point is that just aiding and abetting?

16 Likes

Ugh

8 Likes

grace helbig beauty GIF by This Might Get

13 Likes

Sigh
Tennis Competition GIF

13 Likes

Jill Sobule has a song about the situation in Texas:

11 Likes

Wanna bet TX and others look at this and go “ooh, great idea!!” Fundamentalists of a feather and all.

7 Likes

Ursula K. Le Guin really knew how to say it:

They asked me to tell you what it was like to be twenty and pregnant in 1950 and when you tell your boyfriend you’re pregnant, he tells you about a friend of his in the army whose girl told him she was pregnant, so he got all his buddies to come and say, “We all f*cked her, so who knows who the father is?” And he laughs at the good joke….

What was it like, if you were planning to go to graduate school and get a degree and earn a living so you could support yourself and do the work you loved—what it was like to be a senior at Radcliffe and pregnant and if you bore this child, this child which the law demanded you bear and would then call “unlawful,” “illegitimate,” this child whose father denied it … What was it like? […]

It’s like this: if I had dropped out of college, thrown away my education, depended on my parents … if I had done all that, which is what the anti-abortion people want me to have done, I would have borne a child for them, … the authorities, the theorists, the fundamentalists; I would have born a child for them, their child.

But I would not have born my own first child, or second child, or third child. My children.

The life of that fetus would have prevented, would have aborted, three other fetuses … the three wanted children, the three I had with my husband—whom, if I had not aborted the unwanted one, I would never have met … I would have been an “unwed mother” of a three-year-old in California, without work, with half an education, living off her parents….

But it is the children I have to come back to, my children Elisabeth, Caroline, Theodore, my joy, my pride, my loves. If I had not broken the law and aborted that life nobody wanted, they would have been aborted by a cruel, bigoted, and senseless law. They would never have been born. This thought I cannot bear.

What was it like, in the Dark Ages when abortion was a crime, for the girl whose dad couldn’t borrow cash, as my dad could? What was it like for the girl who couldn’t even tell her dad, because he would go crazy with shame and rage? Who couldn’t tell her mother? Who had to go alone to that filthy room and put herself body and soul into the hands of a professional criminal? – because that is what every doctor who did an abortion was, whether he was an extortionist or an idealist.

You know what it was like for her. You know and I know; that is why we are here. We are not going back to the Dark Ages. We are not going to let anybody in this country have that kind of power over any girl or woman. There are great powers, outside the government and in it, trying to legislate the return of darkness. We are not great powers. But we are the light. Nobody can put us out. May all of you shine very bright and steady, today and always.

23 Likes

Clearly, the guy is an asshole, but this just has misogyny written all over it.

7 Likes

tumblr_lsy9wrMFJH1qd4n9xo1_500

7 Likes

This just leaves me questioning why she didn’t stop the order at the point of payment, because that’s just a whole lot of

No Thank You GIF by Karen Civil

Hell, I would’ve been tempted to leave him there* so he could find his own way back home.
*With bus or cab fare, if I felt guilty at having driven him - depending on the distance back to his place.

9 Likes

Here’s a link that doesn’t go to Fox:

10 Likes

It’s also a MUCH better source for all the other mistakes made in that date from hell, and how people can avoid them. Thanks for sharing this version, and I plan to pass it along to the younglings in my family!

8 Likes

Personally, I think my worst date ever story kinda tops hers; but we’ve all been there…

9 Likes

Sexism and racism… :weary:

10 Likes

Embarrassment? It’s my guess he waited until all the tacos were ready to go, and then couldn’t find his wallet.

2 Likes

Every drive-through I’ve ever used gets payment first, and then they prepare the order. They had time to cancel it (or change the amount in the order based on what she was willing or able to pay).

6 Likes

When I was homeless in Austin, there was a guy at the homeless shelter who would take new shelter women who didn’t know him out to restaurants, and then walk out after eating after lying about needing to go to the bathroom.

11 Likes

Even on the Supreme Court, y’all:

14 Likes

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

11 Likes
12 Likes