A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Pretty sure their “headcanon” of Handmaid’s Tale is rather different that the book I remember reading the first week of its release in 1985. !985.

Aye carumba.
What hath Atwood wrought?

I can’t quite tell if he and his cohorts are saying batshit crazy stuff for clickbait and headlines, or as a kind of loyalty test (looks out over the audience and anyone who is not wildly cheering the ever-escalating misogyny is identified as failing the test), or if he actually believes what he is saying, as bizarre as it is.

We are way past the point of bad actors (circumstantial evidence says they are mainly GOP or Q folks) saying the quiet parts out loud to stir up their base. Roger Stone and his ilk accelerated that when Former Guy declared his candidacy for U.S. president.

What I see now IRL here in meatspace is an hostile vocal bunch of people-acting-as-algorithms, as if they themselves were the physical presence of, say, the Youtube algo that suggest-feeds you more and more extreme material to watch, every time you watch a video there.

This version of The Matrix has too much They Live in it.
Can I get a refund?

ETA: grammar

10 Likes

I think it’s a mistake to try to differentiate between these things. It’s a bit like looking the heads sign of a coin and wondering if it’s really just a ruse distracting us from the tails. It’s all of the above, all of the time.

9 Likes
15 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

I’m confused. What does that consumer electronics inconvenience have to do with misogyny?

4 Likes
7 Likes

It’s the current favored line of attack against the first woman vice president?

9 Likes

Okay thanks, hadn’t heard about that. A bit of Googling shows what you mean.

6 Likes

He was found guilty…

Bye Bye Bai GIF

16 Likes

27 Likes

Reality show theories aside, this issue has led to negative feedback for women in multiple professions, including TV reporters and presenters:

14 Likes
14 Likes
14 Likes

Ugh… fucking gross.

16 Likes

The government will seek to take the property used in the alleged crimes, including Griffin’s Ludlow ski house, his Tesla, and a Mercedes, according to the indictment.

I’m usually not in favor of the government seizing property, but cases like this are the exception. There’s got to be something that works as a deterrent.

16 Likes

Same shit, different day…

adventure time table flip GIF

18 Likes

You know who had a dysfunctional and problematic office as VP? Mike Pence… what the fuck did he do during his 4 years in office, other than lick the boots of Trump and promote bigotry…

I’m so sick of women, especially women of color being held to higher standards than their male counterparts.

Choice quote from one of the strategists:

Clearly, current reporting on Kamala Harris contains elements of a very well-coordinated smear campaign that is unprecedented in its scale and level of obsession with the inner workings of a vice president’s office. What elected official isn’t a difficult boss?

But it’s STILL her own fault, apparently:

Still, quiet as it has been kept, Harris has always appeared to struggle even when she’s been, politically, on the upswing.

19 Likes

We need to talk about the pants suit Mike Pence wore.

21 Likes

Sad Kristen Bell GIF

14 Likes