A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

19 Likes

How the fuck is Adam Carolla still on TV? Oh, as a guest on Hannity…

10 Likes

19 Likes
15 Likes

Follow up.

You can always tell a Harvard man.

16 Likes

I’m pretty fucking angry that both Lepore AND Gates signed that shit.

16 Likes

Farmer and Kincaid too! Wtf?

15 Likes

Right?

Stressed Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

It’s a small club, and you ain’t in it… even in a supposed meritocracy like academia…

15 Likes

‘Watch Out Philly’ warns people about harassers around the city

With over 80% of women across the U.S. experiencing sexual harassment, an Instagram account that share info about experiences in Philadelphia has grown to 23k followers.

• Watch Out Philly allows people to anonymously share details on harassment they’ve faced in public, One of its unique features is using crowdsourced pics or videos to directly identify or call out perpetrators.

The account’s creator envisions it as a “one stop shop” for people to get information about potential suspects in specific areas of the city, BP intern Bibiana Correa reports.

15 Likes

Where we’re at on the ERA:

13 Likes

It looks like Snoop really is a dog.

3 Likes
16 Likes
19 Likes

Fucking Hell

15 Likes
15 Likes

Meanwhile, in Cambodia:

19 Likes

This could go under “Fuck Today,” but I think this is a nice conversation-starter about sexual harassment in the workplace, especially in academe.

For those who don’t hang on every little thing happening in academe, a Harvard professor is accused of sexual harassment, and for whatever reason 38 professors [some of whom are extremely well-known in their fields, even by Harvard standards] chose to post a public letter defending him. They then retracted their letter, but haven’t apologized for being part of the gaslighting of the abused students.

Prof. Potter, a historian (go team!), lays out the real problem–a constant unending coverup by faculty in general of the sexual harassers among us.

When I was young and naive I tried to get a “no fucking your students” policy put into my university’s Faculty Handbook. I worked the Faculty Senate behind the scenes to ensure the votes to get it passed, only to have one guy on the Senate (notorious for fucking his students) stand up and go on about the slippery slope of “academic freedom” and if it was “no fucking your students” now, what would be next. When he started talking I laughed, thinking “not a chance.” Then I started watching the faces of the men and women around the room, as they began to waver. Sure enough, the vote failed. He came up to me afterwards to offer some bullshitty words of “well, nothing personal.” I told him it was personal and that if he got within 50 feet again for the rest of my career that I’d make damn sure that I would go dig up any woman he had ever talked to, had as a student, or even seen from a distance, and encourage her to report even the slightest whiff of sexual harassment from him. We never spoke again.

Prof. Potter lays the problem out really well, and her Q&A at the end with her students is especially depressing for the one question [“But what about innocent flirting”] that shows how entrenched the problem is.

18 Likes

The idea that the workplace is an environment supposed to serve as a source of potential partners (or prey for predators) is one I wish would die in a fire. Folks caught violating company policies against it tend to excuse their behavior in disturbing ways. Too bad some organizations can’t (or won’t) just purge those too opportunistic or lazy to separate work from personal relationships. It’s a slippery slope from there to a toxic work environment for everyone.

I’m not saying people can’t meet on the job. If they really want to date that means following workplace rules. I’ve seen married couples (in different departments), affairs, and divorces (civil and ugly) among my co-workers. The best was a departmental relationship that began when there was no transfer possible, so they decided which one would resign. They’re still together over 20 years later.

19 Likes

Yep, sometimes it works. Mostly not, in my experience. I’ve seen a prominent male faculty person who slept with his grad students, and so the department hired his same-discipline-and-more-“famous” wife away from another university, hoping to force some oversight. Not only was that cowardice on the university’s part, but it turned out that she did slept with her students, too. Utter chaos.

17 Likes

a) Only Harlan F Stone sat on both courts.
b) “The Court held unanimously that the Act violated the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, because white-collar crimes, such as embezzlement, were excluded from the Act’s jurisdiction.”

2 Likes