A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Kind of related to my previous post, this tidbit from today’s ethicist column:

If a rapist learns that his crime resulted in a child, he is permitted, in some states, to sue his victim for custody.

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

16 Likes

Marc Maron Rage GIF by IFC

Supreme Court Democrats GIF by GIPHY News

18 Likes

They’ll never do that; they want/need their dumb, blonde “eye candy.”

Fox will simply make it so that the few women they employ only speak when parroting exactly what the mediocre White men in power want them to say, verbatim.

17 Likes

An example of how women are part of the misogyny problem:

“Wifely duties”, plus lying: some MILs really earn their stereotype.

18 Likes

There’s no hatred like self-hate; some of the worst misogynists also happen to be women, sadly.

18 Likes

the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

It slowly devours you until all that’s left is a husk.

16 Likes

The “steak dish” didn’t get to me, but now you’re making me hungry for some corn on the cob!

11 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes

I can’t even bring myself to read that.

14 Likes

DR;MP* Prediction McConnell, et al. will push for federal law to totally ban abortions everywhere first chance they get
*Didn’t read; might puke

18 Likes

That’s exactly what McConnell says he might do, so will. So much for the claim that the Republicans are like a dog that caught a car, with their own success denying them a useful wedge issue. So long as there is at least one other person in the world, fascists will always find more oppression to fight for.

17 Likes

Of course they will. People who keep thinking that this right wing shit won’t be imposed on the entire country if the GOP get their way are living in a fantasy. The fact that they attempted to overthrow the 2020 election shows what their goals were from the start. They want nothing less then control of the whole country and every single one of us who live here.

18 Likes

Falsified research to make a legal point? Say it ain’t so!

20 Likes
16 Likes
15 Likes
15 Likes

Part of me is worried about her physical safety — she recently hired an elite security team due to threats. But I genuinely believe she will be able to somewhat move past this. Restart her activist career, star in a few independent films. Raise her daughter in a kinder world than she grew up in. I have hope.

Search her name on social media and you will find endless quantities of misogynistic abuse and victim-blaming. Other victims are seeing this, and thinking no one will believe them either. Bear in mind how you speak about this trial, and Amber in general — every time you choose to call her a liar, or a gold-digger, or an abuser — a victim you know will quietly decide they cannot trust you.

12 Likes

In August 2018, Kristie Small was newly serving as the acting chief of staff for Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar, an anti-abortion Democrat, when she told him she was pregnant. Small requested maternity leave via email, and Cuellar responded that they would need to talk about the leave—and the 90-day probationary period for all new hires. It was the first time Small, who already had a young daughter, had ever heard about the policy, which wasn’t in the employee handbook. Cuellar never approved her parental leave and, on October 16, he fired her over the phone, citing poor job performance, while she was in her third trimester. About two weeks later, Small delivered her baby at 30 weeks pregnant. It was a stillbirth.

Small filed a lawsuit against Cuellar’s office in May 2019, alleging both sex and pregnancy discrimination under federal law and noting that she’d worked for another congressman, Robert Brady of Pennsylvania, for 13 years without any performance issues. Cuellar’s office tried to dismiss the lawsuit on summary judgment and submitted letters from Small’s colleagues about her job performance but, according to court documents reviewed by Jezebel, Cuellar himself requested staffers write these letters after he fired Small, and at least five were dated after Small filed her lawsuit.

season 4 episode 11 GIF by Workaholics

19 Likes
12 Likes