A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

It’s too bad that he couldn’t have her on his show, and we had to get all her expertise second hand.

10 Likes

It must be embarrassing enough to remain married to him. Asking her to be in the show was probably too much
If she’s real. I wondered about that at the time

11 Likes

I don’t know if any slang terms currently exist in wide usage but it’s definitely a logical fallacy that could fall under both ‘Appeal to Authority’ and ‘Anecdotal “Evidence”.’

And yeah, it happens both here and in meat-space far too frequently for my liking.

13 Likes

Staff say Dell’s return to office mandate is a stealth layoff, especially for women

Dell’s “return to office” mandate has left employees confused about which offices they can use and the future of their jobs – and concerned the initiative is a stealth layoff program that will disproportionately harm women at the IT giant.

[…]

16 Likes
16 Likes

The stalker is suing HER?

I assume this is all projection on his part, anyway.

14 Likes

18 Likes

Why did I think this belonged in the misogyny thread? :thinking:

9 Likes
7 Likes

Interesting, and I’m not a fan of the technical term, but some of this overlooks the history of work that has been done to combat inequality. One example is this point:

This systemic bias becomes glaring when compared to labor movements, which have historically focused on traditionally masculine industries.

Also, there’s another aspect to positions of power:

Given that women (and men of color) are expected to navigate these unspoken obligations on top of their actual job responsibilities, the idea that they can just emulate white men for career success ignores the discriminatory double standards around emotional labor.

There are differences in class, privilege, and/or ethnicity that do enable some women to emulate white men. All it takes is having the means to pay someone else to perform that emotional labor. The most obvious examples are in childcare or eldercare (nannies and caregivers). It creates another power structure (mostly among women), that still tends to affect members of marginalized groups.

Finally, I’m not quite getting how the following is supposed to happen:

Rose argues that women’s intuition is a valuable skill — one that those with privilege should especially embrace to dismantle discriminatory systems like racism, ableism, or anti-LGBTQ discrimination.

Seems like they’d have to want to dismantle those systems supporting their privilege and be convinced to engage in emotional labor themselves.

13 Likes

On the topic of Black women and the labor movement, if you’ve not read this, I can’t recommend it enough…

It’s a study of Black working class women in ATL from the end of the civil war to the ATL race massacre and the Great Migration. One chapter deals with a washerwoman’s strike in the 1880s that coincided with the first ATL Cotton Expo… The outcome of the strike was kind of unclear, but they got support from middle class Black women as well as the (primarily) Black men who worked in ATL area hotels… The strike was also cross-racial, in that some white working class women also took in washing. In one event she was able to uncover, some of the striking women actually gave another woman who refused to join the strike a beat down.

[ETA] Now having read the article, they do cover this… but the book also covers other events.

12 Likes
14 Likes
15 Likes
13 Likes

“This may turn out just to be a domestic violence type of deal. This may turn out to be a big human trafficking thing. And it may turn out to be that she finally decided she wanted to go home and just called her stepmom,” Michigan State Police Lt. Mike Shaw told WDIV-TV in Detroit.

Emphasis mine. I don’t have a lot of confidence in the investigators here. “Welp, it was just domestic violence. Pack it up boys”

15 Likes

A suggestion came to mind. How about fig-leafing?

13 Likes

Yeah, I like that. It speaks to the motivation behind the tactic. Men who do it know what they are saying is shameful, so they try to defend themselves by holding up something that their wife said once as cover. Good one!

10 Likes
13 Likes

A reminder that sexual predators don’t want their victims to know what’s being done to them is a violent crime:

12 Likes
13 Likes