A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

“The bill creates a new felony called “abortion murder,” making people who have or perform abortions subject to life in prison.”

“But Ohio isn’t the first state to introduce the possibility of such punishment — a Texas bill introduced earlier this year would make it possible for people who get abortions to be sentenced to death.”

I just have no words…

10 Likes

If people wonder what that will look like, a state Senator from my state in the link above talks about her visit to El Salvador, where she visited women in jail for in some cases up to 40 years for having miscarriages.

13 Likes

Being female is a life-threatening condition in our country (and no, not just in our country), and some (red) states seem determined to maximize the damage.

16 Likes
5 Likes

Cant “like” that; we really do need a ‘dislike/unhappy face’ button.

13 Likes

so much this.

edited to note that my quote of previous message was automatically edited out.

5 Likes

I know i am preaching to the choir, but obligatory reminder that Trump is just the USAian manifestation of a worldwide outbreak of misogynistic, racist, LGBTQphobic authoritarian asshats. India, Brazil, Russia, so many many more. Even assuming we win in 2020, to quote Churchill, “it is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it may be the end of the beginning.”

12 Likes

Yep, and let’s add Bolivia and the UK.

11 Likes

And Hungary. :confused: It’s a small and, in the grand scheme of things, inconsequential country, but oh hell how I wish I had the money to leave this miserable place.

Our government has been one of the those fanning the flames of hysteria against refugees, “migrants”, brown people, muslims in general - to the point where in the country asshats have been calling police on exchange students, tourists, the single D-list celebrity we have who is black, Catholic nuns (for wearing burqa, you see), some places don’t allow dark-skinned people, etc. Anti-Semitism is rampant, the fucking speaker of the govt. made some absolutely outrageous comments just last week, and when he realized that he crossed a line all he offered was the usual faux-pology. They regularly and openly support authoritarian regimes and leaders.

They refuse to support the Istanbul Convention - the official excuse is that it would be “misused” (as in, women would ruin men’s lives with false accusations), but it’s an open secret that domestic violence is not rare among members of the governing party. (Allegations against the PM have been cropping up regularly for the past 30 years.) Misogyny is the default mode in the government, women are regularly reminded that their job is to produce children and that they shouldn’t get uppity. A high-ranking government member (forgot which asshat) has equated LGBTQ with pedophilia… and I could go on.

(Like, studies and research on sociology and gender have lost funding earlier this year, and freedom of education is shrinking every year, most recently there’s this going on… Government propaganda is stifling everything, freedom of expression is basically non-existent at this point - the government owns 99% of media and blasts blatant lies, smear campaigns against opposition politicians, the EU, Soros, “liberals”, etc…)

Gah. Sorry about the rant.

23 Likes

This is the perfect place for it. I’m sorry that you have to live through that… It sucks.

15 Likes

Speaking of Istanbul, Turkey should be added to the list as well.

9 Likes

Edit: In case anyone didn’t catch the reference:

10 Likes

Let’s hope this guy gets the feedback he deserves.

11 Likes
15 Likes

No, you don’t understand. I mean, he is a fully realized human being, white, male, wealthy, everything! She is just a female, and well, you know, they don’t feel things like we do. (/s and :face_vomiting: as well) Seriously, how could he? This is his daughter! Even if what he means is this is harder on him, he sucks. Just unreal.

15 Likes

Moi8Rpr

10 Likes

What an asshole.

10 Likes

ETA:

12 Likes

Here is the direct link to the AJC:

10 Likes
9 Likes