A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

This thread:

Full of men pontificating on a subject that only tangentially affects them. Such a microcosm of the internet and, indeed, the world.

13 Likes

Right?

“Menstruation”? I know what to do – turn this into stupid sex jokes that men think are funny!

8 Likes

I have him muted. Had to re-up that today, in fact, so I didn’t see that comment. But thank you for reminding me why I have him muted. It’s much better for my stress levels.

8 Likes

Oy veh…

1 Like

And . . . ?

4 Likes

The ‘Ignore’ feature is not actually a viable solution… but it’s the only one the dev is even willing to consider, because reasons.

5 Likes

Especially not against the boundary pushing assholes who know you want nothing to do with them, but insist on interacting with you, anyway. Because your right to feel safe is less important than their right to harass you.

9 Likes

Well, we’re only women, after all… /s

12 Likes

If men want to interact, they might try being nurturing and supportive, instead of being harassing assholes. Assholery doesn’t get anyone anywhere but a permanent place on everyone else’s shite list.

1 Like

It is really sad that we live in a timeline where a state has to take legal steps in order to make doctors not be misogynistic assholes. But I guess it is what it is…

15 Likes

I think in some cases the doctors are pretending to do these ‘tests’ in order to make sure the teen still gets to come to a legitimate doctor’s office in future. It might be the best solution they have to protect the patient.

5 Likes

I’d expect a doctor to ask. “Is this medically necessary”. And since it never is medically necessary then what cause is there to proceed?And if he/she decides to proceed then why label oneself a doctor?

2 Likes

I guess my objection, other than the whole “ownership” thing, is the perpetuation of this myth that a “virgin test” is a thing. It is not. It never was. Pretending it is encourages the use of sexual abuse as though it had a legitimate purpose. No such legitimacy exists.

10 Likes

State sponsored misogyny.

12 Likes

“At the same time, the government has sought to curtail investigations, putting “immense pressure” on officials from the Federal Investigation Agency pursuing trafficking networks, said Saleem Iqbal, a Christian activist who has helped parents rescue several young girls from China and prevented others from being sent there.”

Nice.

9 Likes

PERSONHOOD tells a different reproductive rights story – one that ripples far beyond the right to choose and into the lives of every pregnant person in America. Tammy Loertscher’s fetus was given an attorney, while the courts denied Tammy her constitutional rights and sent her to jail. Through her story, the film reframes the abortion debate to encompass the growing system of laws that criminalize and police pregnant women. At the intersection of the erosion of women’s rights, the war on drugs, and mass incarceration, Tammy’s experience reveals the dangerous consequences of these little-known laws for American women and families.

10 Likes

Late Stage Americanism: When your dead fetus gets a better lawyer than you do.

11 Likes
11 Likes

How little misogyny is recognized as a source for hate crimes and terrorism is itself an example of misogyny.

“Where do you really start to discuss the intersection between misogyny and hate groups, when they are really one and the same?” asked Liz, adding that hatred of women often serves as a base upon which to build other forms of hate.

10 Likes
8 Likes