A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

I went into it solely because of Margot Robbie’s acting, but now I want to re-watch for these reasons.

Seriously, if you haven’t seen I, Tonya, you really ought to.

6 Likes

As someone on Twitter pointed out, in BoP, Harley’s wearing less clothes than in Suicide Squad but is never a sex-object.

The women aren’t “strong female leads”; each one has their weaknesses and quirks. They’re allowed to have depth. None of them are there to be a love interest.

Again, woman centered and directed. This one is even moreso.

Even the fight scenes are done with the individual characters in mind. They don’t just fight, each uses skills dependent on their background. Harley absolutely fights like a derby girl.

So when a certain class of viewer sees it, it’s disturbing, because – for once – they don’t see themselves centered as either a character or a watcher. They hate it, because they aren’t used to stories not being about and for them. They’re suddenly in the position everyone else has been in their whole lives, and they don’t have the skills to process that.

I haven’t seen a single Marvel movie and other than Wonder Woman, it was The Dark Knight. I am not a comic book movie person. But I liked this.

12 Likes

I really loved that movie… Robbie was great…

5 Likes

Well said and i agree with that. I usually avoid the DC films because they are just filled with broflake angst and hyper sexualisation of women characters but i enjoyed wonder woman (the new one looks great) and birds of prey was bloody great fun. I don’t feel like the character of roman sionis was being kink shamed by the film or portrayed as being evil because he’s gay either, he was just a really bad dude and it made him one of the more unusual and colourful villains in these type of things.

5 Likes

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wheres-weinstein-movie-mogul-remains-hospitalized-not-imprisoned-after-rape-conviction-164948728.html

Harvey Weinstein was convicted of rape and remanded into custody on Monday, but he’s still not in jail.

While being moved to Rikers Island in NYC, where he was expected to be housed until his March 11 sentencing, he was rerouted to Bellevue Hospital while experiencing chest pains and high blood pressure, and that’s where he remains. Of course, because he’s not locked behind those Rikers correctional facility doors, there’s been speculation about his status — and treatment.

However, a spokesperson for Weinstein tells Yahoo Entertainment that it’s not up to the former filmmaker where he’s being housed.

“It’s the [New York City Department of Corrections’] decision based on Judge Burke’s order, and whether he’s at Bellevue or Rikers he’s going to be in a medical unit either way,” Weinstein’s rep says, referring to the request made by his legal team following his conviction to remand him to a medical facility within the penal system.“They are BOTH PRISONS … The rooms are CELLS at Bellevue.”

6 Likes

A school forcing kids to slow dance at age 11 and not being allowed to say no:

10 Likes

Not exactly misogyny, but check out the look on the boy’s faces!

14 Likes

This sounds absolutely fantastic. I’m not sure a super hero movie is going to live up to the bar that’s being set for me here.

Thinking about how other people feel about things sure can be alienating.

7 Likes

Not just Twitter.

21 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

8 Likes

I wonder if ANY men read Rebecca Solnit’s book on that. :expressionless:

9 Likes

12 Likes

That’s disgusting but not surprising. Misogyny is baked into the right wing view of the world. Women, especially young women, are for ogling, and if they speak it ruins the fantasy. I remain hopeful that their world is dying and they ate lashing out due to that, but, let’s face it, they’ve pretty much always been like this. Current politics just makes it ok to take the hood off.

13 Likes

It is, but the fuckers seem damn determined to take everyone else down too, while they thrash in their death throes…

12 Likes

Too true.

6 Likes

If part of your “revolution” relies on no one interfering with your racist, sexist, transphobic jokes… I want no part of it.

(Thread)

Like Alexandra says, I want a functioning society. One where we take care of each other, not lash out at those more vulnerable in some sort of “edgelord equality”. And if the movement can’t be criticized, that’s not a society, it’s a cult.

14 Likes

THIS.

Amplify that message, as much as we can.

13 Likes

Add me to the list of people wanting a functioning society.

I grew up with the dirtbag left. I grew up in a town that was racist, sexist, homophobic and transphobic but still voted Labour (it got a conservative MP in 2010 after a boundary change, but the city council is Labour dominated). I spent 25 years trying to get out of there, and it nearly killed me because I could never fit in to that toxic environment.

The core of the dirtbag left aren’t my comrades. They are the ones who will become tankies, or Nazbol, or beefsteak Nazis. At best they will become the conservatives who say shit like “you’ll become right wing when you get older” while voting against their best interests.

I am tired of being dismissed as a liberal capitalist apologist by cis white guys who would stop supporting social change the second they had the power that they desire.

(I really should start using radical social change instead of revolution. Too many people assume I mean violence when I mention revolution.)

15 Likes

That’s because deep down they know that those in power absolutely WILL resort to violence in order to maintain their vise-like grip on that power…

12 Likes

Nazi tomatoes?

Unfamiliar with this term.

3 Likes