A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

So well written. I’ve had the same thoughts, but never so well organized.
All of it, but this part resonates especially:

Straight men blaming women for their own sexual responses degrades women. And it disempowers men.

If they can’t even control their own “primal” urges, why should they be trusted with running the world?!?

(Edited to fix typo.)

16 Likes

It’s less that anyone trusts them and more like they took it. We have yet to take it back.

12 Likes

19 Likes

OMG this is hilarious. When I lived in a city I used to do this. I wouldn’t run into them, but sometimes when it looked like we might collide, I’d just stop, and very, very often, they would also stop and just stand there, rather than going around. So, like a very stupid standoff. :joy: good times. Thanks for the memories.

16 Likes

Until the very end, where he says that he wants a better world because he has daughters. It would be really nice for men to want that better world just because women deserve it.

9 Likes

I’ve seen this before. Typically what happens is the smaller person gets out of the way, and the bigger person gets unreasonably pissed off if they don’t. It’s as if being a human battering ram gives one the automatic right of way.

Kinda like how every grotesquely fat guy seated next to me on the plane feels entitled to my seat as well.

2 Likes

And when the bigger person is a woman?

5 Likes

The man still moves out of the way. I wouldn’t think so, but apparently it’s what happens. It shouldn’t surprise me, because a lot of men are genuinely intimidated by women.

I guess the difference is the woman doesn’t get righteously outraged that the man didn’t move out of her way, but a man will almost always cuss out a woman who didn’t move out of his way.

2 Likes

Apparently?

7 Likes

This is an official notification that your meme has been acquired.

13 Likes

Trying to find the video. I saw it a few years back. There was one woman who was very large, like a rugby player. The men moved out of her way. It shouldn’t have surprised me, but it did. In other cases where the men and women were more similar in size, it was a bit closer, but my memory is the smaller person usually yields. I may be wrong. Trying to find the video.

I definitely remember the men being full on verbally abusive if the women didn’t yield, but the women weren’t like this with the men.

2 Likes

There was a video accompanying this, which I can’t find:

I remember the last minute pivots (when the guy realized the woman isn’t smaller than him and won’t move) and the verbal abuse.

1 Like

I didn’t find this to be the case. I’m almost 6’ tall, and not “burly” but not a whippet. I found that smaller men seemed more likely to lay siege on the sidewalk, as compared to larger men. Maybe the bigger guys didn’t feel like they had as much to prove? I don’t know. It’s a really small sample size. And memory fades.
Oh, and even when I was bigger, I didn’t get unreasonably pissed off. I just got unusually interested in the sidewalk art. :wink:

8 Likes

That’s more of a guy thing.

12 Likes

Grrrr.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Sort of good news, I guess

14 Likes

Lemme guess…yet another filmmaker created content for the male gaze - for fun and profit. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes
10 Likes

Truth be told, Edison was one of the first to do this and all the others followed suit.

7 Likes