A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 2)

When I needed to find a new GYN, I purposefully decided to try a nurse practitioner instead of an MD OB/GYN. I have no intention of being pregnant ever again and taken steps, a long with my partner, to prevent that. I felt like becoming a patient with an OB/GYN would be unnecessary and consume a limited resource other people might need. I was also comfortable trying an NP GYN (or whatever the proper title is). She’s been pretty awesome for my needs and I don’t ever have to think about whether the appointment I made for a wellness exam or whatever should have gone to someone who is or plans to be pregnant.

The news there aren’t enough doctors is not surprising to me. A dental hygienist mentioned she wanted to get pregnant soon. Which was TMI at my appointment but presented an opportunity.
I asked her if she was an established patient with an OB. Nope, she wasn’t. Told her she needs to get that done before she gets pregnant if possible. Or she might be 6 months along before she can get an appointment. Because there aren’t enough and the ones Texas has are retiring or moving “because they can’t do their jobs or keep their patients safe in Texas. Any time they even mention abortion or consider saving a patients life with an abortion means they might end up losing their license or being sued.” The thoughtful look on her face the rest of the appointment was gratifying.

14 Likes

Brazil has recorded unprecedented levels of rape and other forms of gender-based violence for the second year running, amid growing concerns over rightwing efforts to criminalize rape victims who have an abortion.

11 Likes

Gonna crosspost in da music…

14 Likes

Which band?

1 Like

Jane’s Addiction…

8 Likes

Thanks! That’s worth a click-through.

Edit: Horrible story, and sadly unsurprising. Great to read though that she’s speaking out and back on her feet. :+1:

9 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

https://www.jezebel.com/a-peek-behind-the-ballerina-farm-facade-is-bleak-as-hell

8 Likes

Answer: it’s late-stage capitalism.

8 Likes

cia.gov/the-world-factbook/field/infant-mortality-rate/country-comparison/

(US 173/227, pretty much midground, between Romania and Slovakia. Behind almost every developed and some not so much country. This is embarrassing, folks.)

I thought about putting this in the PSA thread, but this is very much tied to the current effort to devalue women’s lives going on in the US. Stupid fucking timeline…

ETA:

Meanwhile, infants of Black women had the highest mortality rate at 10.90 per 1,000 live births in 2022 followed by infants of American Indian/Alaska Native women and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander women.

10.9 puts us at Azerbaijan level, #123. Gaaaahhhh!!!

13 Likes
11 Likes
11 Likes

14 Likes

That dude is never not an asshole.

15 Likes

Also, that’s exactly the reason so many people gave for voting for W, while ignoring that he was in recovery… “I could have a beer with him…”

Ugh, I hate that guy.

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

14 Likes

Can’t wait (as in, can wait forever) to see the deeply frightening “documentary” he’ll probably make, about how Harris and whoever her running mate will be will kill white babies, force America’s students to conduct voodoo rituals, and paint the White House black if they get elected.

10 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes

‘Because #misogyny isn’t bad people saying bad things that may hurt your feelings. (Though it might.) And misogyny isn’t about silencing women. (Though it does.)

Misogyny is now one of the deadliest weapons on Earth. Misogyny is a dirty bomb in the heart of our information system. Misogyny is electoral interference. Misogyny is a national security threat so lethal we can’t even see it.’

Carole Cadwalladr

‘But there are things that only veterans of the childless cat lady wars can know. They used to call us witches because we knew shit. We still do. That’s what makes us so powerful. And dangerous. That’s what JD #Vance understands: our cat lady energy.

We’ve lived through culture wars before they even had that name, before they invented memes’

#ChildlessCatLadies

12 Likes