A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 2)

Even having women do these checks can be very uncomfortable for young girls and young women. This was something our district did in the 70s to check for scoliosis. Even though I knew the women doing the examinations (small town), it was still bizarre and very uncomfortable lining up in front of everyone without our tops on.

12 Likes

Russian state TV tonight: “Our Candidate.”

They’re not hiding the sarcasm.

Anchor Kiselyov calls Putin’s public endorsement of Kamala Harris “slightly ironic”.

Then he mocks her for a cooking recipe she recently shared. “In the kitchen…she’s happy & in her element, unlike in serious politics.”

#2 This was a bizarre segment in Russian state TV’s ‘News of the Week’. Kiselyov mocks Kamala Harris over a video of her sharing with someone her recipe for Christmas greens.

First, he dismisses her words as “nonsense” claiming “she adds garlic twice at different times” (although she never said that) and because “she boils the vegetables several hours. What state will those vegetables be in for the salad?” (although that’s how you cook Collard Greens.)

Then Kiselyov says Kamala Harris “should have her own cooking show” & dismisses her as a politician. “Even Lenin said a kitchen maid could rule the state but has much to learn first. But for Kamala Harris all her years of study & in power have been of no use.”

I wonder how Russian women will react to this portrayal/treatment of a female (US) presidential candidate?

Another clip from the video is shown, with Kamala Harris voiced in Russian saying: “Just hold on for another 64 days”. What she’s actually saying is: “So that’s how I do my greens.”

10 Likes

I Cant GIF

Voting for a conservative candidate, even Abbott(!) does not mean women want to be property

8 Likes

Is it just me, or do there seem to be more of these particularly gendered forms of assault recently?

12 Likes

It’s hard to tell if there are more or if the press has decided they are now worthy of reporting regularly. There are places where acid attacks against women happen fairly regularly. Gasoline seems more readily available. I’m afraid there will be more.

11 Likes

There aren’t more gendered attacks, such attacks are finally receiving media attention.

In Detroit, where this particular attack occurred, domestic murders are an absolute epidemic, women go missing with their charred remains eventually found on a secluded, abandoned lot with shocking regularity. Seriously, the women’s bodies are burned every time. Families of the victims have been appealing to our local news stations to broadcast reports of these murders for a long time. It has raised awareness, unfortunately, no more than that. Police do not treat domestic violence seriously (nowhere in the US or most of the world), so the violence escalates until it’s too late.

12 Likes

13 Likes

Who Is This Owl GIF

Frank Luntz?

11 Likes

10 Likes

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by First We Feast

8 Likes

Translation: “Sure, she’s competent, intelligent, knows her stuff backwards, and has the self control to stop herself in the middle of saying ‘this motherfucker’, but has she considered that she’d be prettier if she smiled more?”

Which is ironic given that she spent most of her time off mic laughing out loud.

16 Likes

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

7 Likes

14 Likes

Funny how they didn’t go after the male Ivy League presidents.

14 Likes

Posted here because, while this is a step in the right direction, it is a very late step to fix a huge problem that never should have existed in the first place and still hurts real people every fucking day all over the planet.

14 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

As the cover photo says: Not all men but always a man.

15 Likes

Gisèle Pélicot’s courage is breathtaking. Her courage has inspired protests and public consideration of rape. I hope it sparks a deep and lasting change

16 Likes

What struck me when the case first hit the news is how long it went on. I find it difficult to believe everyone he approached agreed to commit rape, but the police stumbled across the evidence while investigating the husband for a different crime. Nobody reported him for this.

ETA: Religious leaders are no exception…

12 Likes