A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

15 Likes

Coming soon to a state near you, fetal checkpoints at the border! :face_vomiting: :angry:

21 Likes

Animated GIF

12 Likes

“Control of those who are or may become pregnant” will be the next talking point. It’s not theoretical nor hysterical. It’s right in front of us.

20 Likes

@kevlin@mastodon.social @cwebber@octodon.social described ChatGPT as Mansplaining As A Service, and honestly I can’t think of a better description. A service that instantly generates vaguely plausible sounding yet totally fabricated and baseless lectures in an instant with unflagging confidence in its own correctness on any topic, without concern, regard or even awareness of the level of expertise of its audience.

21 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

12 Likes

Follow up on this, pointing out that this tragic case is a symptom of much larger societal issues

14 Likes

Not shocked, but the way this is framed had me smh:

“Perhaps it’s not four bad apples that had some alcohol,” said Jeanis. “Perhaps it’s a larger cultural issue that needs to be examined.”

No “perhaps” about it. What also seemed odd were stats focusing on the ethnicity of victims and just the Black community.

Of rape cases reported by law enforcement between 2020 and 2021, about 37% were Black. In Louisiana, about 33% of the population is Black.

So, about 63% percent of victims were…not Black? :thinking: We need more focus on the perpetrators to make the state a safer place for women.

16 Likes

On the topic of mansplaining, this little thing is a mess.

And what’s up with the knives around his head?

8 Likes

I never want to meet the man who made that.

14 Likes

Ugh… me neither…

13 Likes

I was curious about the knives. I guess it’s part of some larger episode…apparently said character doesn’t know about the knives and doesn’t understand why everyone else thinks he should feel worried about his life, and somehow all this ties into a theme around selflessness. This clip doesn’t make me feel especially confident there are insights to make it worth looking into any further than that.

13 Likes

I couldn’t be bothered to watch even the entirety of this one clip

13 Likes

Exactly. Someone over on another thread was trying to frame the mass shooting stats in a similar way to this story. Their framing might be useful for people designing intervention programs, but for most of us, the fact is that we’re more likely to be raped or fall victims to mass shootings perpetrated by white men than any other demographic.

12 Likes

I guess it’s a representation of “the woke mob” or whatever, ready to attack the instant he says the wrong thing?

What a shitty waste of good stop-motion animation.

10 Likes

21 Likes

golfers > child care

17 Likes

That article asks a lot of really legitimate questions. What’s the difference between having a big family, and having a small daycare?
I wish more advocates would show up to support the business, to counteract the golfers. :cry:

15 Likes

Five kids isn’t a lot. Our neighbor across the street watches up to five kids per day. I have no idea if she is paid under the table, or what, but those kids are very quiet, even when our neighbor takes them for walks in the neighborhood. She once told me that she only watches newborns and young toddlers (before they move on to Pre-K) from families that she knows.

On the other hand, our besties in very south Orange County have a neighbor family of 10 who lives across the street. Half of the street is full of eBikes, a basketball hoop, some regular bikes and skateboards, and the kids are always doing their thing in the middle of the road. I always worry that I’m going to run over a bike or dog forbid, a child. :woman_shrugging:

Edited for verb tenses (I thought she stopped watching kids; I just was told otherwise)

14 Likes

Trigger warning for the details, which are pretty awful…

14 Likes