A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

It’s all so arbitrary. Two couples I know in the DC area started a “nanny share” thing (apologies if that’s not the right term, it’s been a while) where they go in together on a nanny and their 4 children are all together at one of their homes with the nanny. No ordinance on the books could make that illegal, AFAIK.

12 Likes

Less misogyny, as much as addressing it head on…

13 Likes
16 Likes

“We’re looking into what led up to this. Was there depression or anything else?” Wagstaffe said. “It wasn’t just that he was trying to kill them, he was trying to kill himself too.”

It wasn’t MERELY that he was trying to kill his chattel – wife and children – but he was actually trying to kill himself as well, so there must be a certifiable medical issue to explain it.

18 Likes

Family annihilators frequently take themselves out at the end. Gotta wonder if Mom had mentioned leaving him?

16 Likes

I hate that I know exactly what that term means and can think of examples without having to do an internet search. Fuck this timeline.
:cry:

16 Likes
18 Likes

Remember that mess in Missouri? It’s being repeated in Florida :angry::

16 Likes

bUt wHat aBoUt tH3 b4bB1eZ…

18 Likes

sassy bird GIF

11 Likes

Posted at the request of @Mindysan33, who already has 2 posts in a row:

14 Likes

This troubles me, for a few reasons. I agree there’s a problem. However the approach to solving it reminds me of what is suggested about people engaging in a wide range of abusive behaviors. The problem is studied, and the proposed solution is raising awareness and training the perpetrators to act differently.

IMO, this is a tactic. It’s an effective one, too. I’d prefer to see training for the people on the receiving end of this. If it’s a peer, there are a few phrases that could be used to get the message across that an explanation is unwelcome. If it’s coming from a manager, there’s a conversation to be had about why they are questioning competence or capability in that manner (with a third party present, if necessary). It’s something that some folks choose to do, and repeated negative (or unexpected) responses should bring it to an end.

Reclaim Maxine Waters GIF

14 Likes

I get where you’re coming from, but why is it always on us to correct their misogynistic behavior? It feels like we’re always being told that we’re not doing enough to stop this kind of thing, but there is not much talk on getting men not to be condescending assholes…

8 Likes
10 Likes

I was thinking of more along the lines of self-defense. I may say something once, but there’s no energy in me to waste time on a repeat offender. It might just lead me to walk away rather than provide a target.

I’m just not sure that the training mentioned in the article would get them to stop, because it requires them to have some willingness to change. At least some defensive strategies might help the victims of these folks. Hopefully, that could prevent these incidents from making them feel stressed and/or depressed - whether the perpetrators reform or not.

14 Likes

Good points, all!

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

10 Likes

If Clinton was distracted because of the investigation, wasn’t that because of the GOP who wasted everyone’s time and attention with investigating him lying about his relationship with Lewinsky? It’s sort of fucked up that the aide would pin it on Lewisky and NOT the GOP, who have been coming for Clinton since he first ran for the presidency… :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

Who?
I guess even never weres gotta hump those book sales.

8 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

7 Likes

It turns out that he was no friend at all.

10 Likes