A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

Amanda Platell was William Hague’s press secretary when he was leader of the Tories.

11 Likes

It’s a different measuring tape for men, though.

Yep.

12 Likes

France is so weird right now. You’re NOT allowed to cover yourself at the beach, but you MUST cover yourself in a museum.

6 Likes

And of course, Trump isn’t nowhere near as rich as he keeps claiming. I’m fairly sure the main reason he’s fighting so hard against the release of his tax returns is that they’d show he’s not a billionaire.

9 Likes

IKR? And the fact that he ties his wealth in with his perceived “beauty” must make it extra scary.

4 Likes

Islamophobia and patriarchy are both hell of a drugs… You know what I mean.

14 Likes

I know. (sigh).
I keep thinking of that passage, early in Diamond Age, about how hypocrisy isn’t the real evil, but in our current world I can’t help but get SO frustrated at the completely unchecked hypocrisy of (some of) our institutions.
I just wish we could honestly discuss whatever people are really upset about.
OTOH, that sounds like a very dark conversation, given the current mood.
(There isn’t a right emoji to express my furrowed brow sadness.)

4 Likes

An interesting take on the python that made news last week:

6 Likes

I think plenty of us who have been oppressed in one way or another have tried to have these conversations. Unfortunately, there are too many people uncomfortable with talking about hard truths…

8 Likes

7 Likes

indeed

5 Likes

Cross posted

9 Likes

I’d be surprised, but finding incompetent or unqualified people to perform unethical, immoral, and/or illegal acts is the specialty of this administration.

13 Likes

this administration can’t even disappoint me anymore. they can horrify me, scare me, and appall me but the only thing this administration can do to surprise me is to act in a manner that is both competent and humane.

[spoiler alert]

i am so rarely surprised.

10 Likes

AIUI, most penal systems don’t require board certification for their contracted docs, just a license. So nothing new or special, just the usual horror of treating the (justly or unjustly) incarcerated as subhuman and undeserving of normal humane considerations.

11 Likes

But the article also says “he has served as the medical director for the labor and delivery department at Irwin County Hospital.”

Surely he should be board certified to hold that position!

1 Like

One would think, but depends on the bylaws of that particular hospital. If it is sufficiently underserved, they may not be able to be that selective?

5 Likes

The sect that inspired the Handmaids Tale - one of Trump’s possible Supreme Court nominees is a member.

10 Likes
10 Likes

OMG, that they had such a terrible power dynamic in place applied to students and that it took so long to acknowledge and resolve this is enraging. That phrase, “it was a different era” is so dismissive and says a lot about the people in positions of power. Kudos to Lara St. John for persisting in the face of so much institutional denial and inaction.

11 Likes