A track you never expected to see on Boing Boing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/12/a-track-you-never-expected-to.html

15 Likes

tumblr_inline_p0gho3QilS1uz7t6q_540

8 Likes

Well played @beschizza.

8 Likes

I guess, though Cory did post a Finnish cover of the song back in '08. Alas, the video and link in that post are broken, so I’ll repost it here (it doesn’t disappoint!):

24 Likes

wow, i don’t remember that first time around, that is a gem for sure.

5 Likes

turn it up!

3 Likes

Just a minute, that’s stuck in my head, let me fix that …

11 Likes

”I have always thought `Dixie’ one of the best tunes I have ever heard. Our adversaries over the way attempted to appropriate it, but I insisted yesterday that we fairly captured it. I presented the question to the Attorney General, and he gave it as his legal opinion that it is our lawful prize. I now request the band to favor me with its performance.” Abraham Lincoln

11 Likes

I don’t know a lot about Abe, but he does seem a pretty cool dude.

Meanwhile…

4 Likes

My beloved Alabama did well yesterday.

If any of you need a tour, I’d always be up for it, especially down Mobile way (and I’d teach you all how to pronounce it correctly!).

7 Likes

no no no i thought this was my safe place!

Meh, its a really good song, I think.

It has some really great musical elements and, admittedly, Neal Young can be a bit preachy at times.

2 Likes

Lemme see if I remember: “Moe BEE ul”?

1 Like

Better than Moore winning, then we’d have just had to listen to Mo’ BILE.

5 Likes

No kidding. He’s a great songwriter, musician and performer. A national treasure up here in Canada. But yes, he gets a bit preachy.

Perfectly written!!

Was watching the news last night, have of the commentators were pronouncing it Mobul (like mobile phones). Was driving me crazy.

1 Like

IIRC Skynard and Neal were friends.

1 Like

Catchy tune, but the shoutout to hyper-racist Gov. George Wallace always kind of ruined it for me.

It’s anti-George Wallace!

Here’s the lyric:

“In Birmingham they love the Gov’nor, BOO! BOO! BOO!
Now we all did what we could do”

The reference was to the large support that Wallace had in Birmingham, as evidenced by the mayor and Bull Conner, and the extreme white flight that was happening.

Ronnie and the band were against that.

That’s why they have a black women’s chorus sing gospel style “boo boo boo” about it.

And they did what they could do to protest it.

He then says that nixon being taken down during watergate is fine for him.

“does your conscious bother you”

The song is an rebut of neil young’s southernman, Ronnie is saying that there’s good people in The South who are against the racism and stuff.

6 Likes