A trick to see the blood vessels in your own eye

Don’t worry. It’s still an argument against any engineer. How many engineers do you know who plan their work to be easy to service? :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, so glad you enjoyed my video! You’re right that a bigger hole won’t help - the point of the pinhole is really just to get a movable point source of light so that you can shift the shadows the veins cast across your retina.

If you want to get a better view, grab a bright flashlight and go into a dark room. Hold the light up at an angle so it shines across/into your eye and wiggle/shake it around until you start to see veins. If you do it properly you should be able to get a pretty wide view of your veins and see them more clearly than with the pinhole approach. However you should be careful about looking directly into the light or shining it into your eye for too long. I’m no opthalmologist and have heard mixed reports about the possibility of damage (LEDs may be worse?) but with vision it’s always good to play it safe.

Stay curious!

3 Likes

PS - just tried a few times on myself, to save you some experimentation I found that the best was to aim the light in towards my eye at around a 45 degree angle while looking forward into darkness. Holding the (small, bike) flashlight about an inch or two from my eye and making slight circular swirling motions brought the veins into the most consistent clarity. Let me know if you discover anything yourself!

3 Likes

Wait… what is that from? It’s clearly Jeffery Combs…

From Beyond . The film that director Stuart Gordon and stars Combs and Barbara Crampton did after Re-animator . Also, based (loosely) on Lovecraft. Not as outstanding as the first Re-animator , but well worth a viewing.

And it’s got Ken Foree!

I’ll have to dig it up… sounds perfect of Halloween!

1 Like

df970626

1 Like

"For my health, I was going for full body transparency, but then I… just… sort of… mmmmmeeeeeellllllt…

CGYn1F

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.