A truck crashed into one of the Easter Island head statues and destroyed it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/06/a-truck-crashed-into-one-of-th.html

4 Likes

Can’t replace the original. But how about a copy? Just in time:

4 Likes

Heads will roll…

19 Likes

And the locals quickly made examples of island drivers…

34 Likes

Was a little shocked to see a photo of home in this thread!

Little known fact. It’s an encouraged tradition to take cans of paint and add your own touch to this particular art installation. We have a local artist who takes the (centimeters thick in some places) strata of spray paint and cuts it into a material he calls “cadillite” for jewelry and other stuff.

31 Likes

I see no reason why this form can’t be called cadillite.

25 Likes

Can we get a before pic of the site? I am not seeing what I would expect to see from a toppled stone head.

3 Likes

The pic at the end of the article is the before pic. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That row of statues? Because I don’t believe that is the same location as the shot in the video.

I don’t dont see a giant head in the rubble, so I wondered if it was a smaller one. Maybe if they took out the truck and showed the stones it would make more sense to me. Like I could see a truck toppling the stones, I am just surprised if it made it crumble. Then again IIRC they are volcanic, so maybe its more brittle than I expect.

5 Likes

Ok, so you want to see a group after shot. Working on it.

PS: There are hundreds of statues there, and not just the lined up group shot we’re all accustomed to. The one hit may have been a solitary one (judging by the empty areas to the side of the downed statue, but… still checking!

1 Like

The volcanic rock the moai were carved from is quite soft, many of the statues are disintegrating from the weather already.

4 Likes

Eventually, that would leave only the buried statues’ bodies, better protected from the elements.

2 Likes

i’m surprised that trucks are even allowed anywhere NEAR them.

8 Likes

Right, I know there are many of them, and some in varying degrees of size and condition. In the video it doesn’t appear near others (or at least not super close). IIRC they are all looking out towards the sea, and the video looks near a cliff.

3 Likes

20 Likes

Unfortunately, not as buff (so far!):

23 Likes

Keep digging…

28 Likes

Oh, those cat-loving ancient Egyptians!

6 Likes

15 Likes

The second picture, showing the intact temple platform, seems to be from Ahu Tongariki (I thought at first it was Anekena, but I was wrong). The truck crash looks like it could be at Ahu Akahanga, but it could possibly be at another location in the north-east of the island whose name I don’t remember.

If I remember correctly, the best collections of moai are to be found at Anekena, Ranu Raraku and Ahu Tongariki, so I’m glad to see they were spared. And while I don’t condone driving trucks into precious historical artifacts, Easter Island has a lot of those things. It’s a shame that one was wrecked, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s not a Buddhas-of-Bamiyan-level cultural disaster.

4 Likes