The Holbein Horse is a sculpture that constantly gets re-painted by different artists

Originally published at: The Holbein Horse is a sculpture that constantly gets re-painted by different artists | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I wonder if that lead image is recent and after a scrubbing because in the images at AO and Wiki it looks like a wad of chewing gum in a vaguely equine shape. I assume at some point they decided to scrub off all of the 40+ years worth of paint layers. Public art is cool.

5 Likes

See also The Fence at Carnegie Mellon

3 Likes

The German Wiki page has a lot of good pictures of the before and after from a restoration in 2019:

21 Likes

I wonder how much lead was contained within all those layers?

4 Likes

I hope they kept the paint layers and made souvenirs out of them to finance the restoration work. It is an example of Fordite after all.

16 Likes

Freiburg is always worth a visit (and even a little detour) all year round.
You can’t miss it, the tower of Freiburg Minster stands taller than a Saturn V.

11 Likes

In Shawnee, OK, they have a painted horse program.

Aw, you beat me too it!

6 Likes

On their site in a public park, the Cows have been vandalised and modified. Sometimes they have simply been damaged, while at other times they have been painted pink, become zebras, become skeletal, had pyjama bottoms added, have been beheaded in the style of Damien Hirst, have acquired BSE (mad cow disease) graffiti, had one of the calves kidnapped (with ransom notes to the local papers). One of the Cows briefly enjoyed the services of a papier-mâché bull. When UK Culture Minister Kim Howells referred to modern art trends as “conceptual bullshit”, the Cows acquired concrete cow-pats.

5 Likes

Can confirm. I’ve been there twice, and would go back in a heartbeat. I love that city.

3 Likes

I was gonna ask about this. I went to that Cadillac ranch place where they allow people to paint them and the paint Isabel’s thick to the point where it’s distorting the shape of the cars.

1 Like

Near the Cadillac Ranch is Ozymandias on the Plains.

It too gets painted a lot.

4 Likes

i didn’t see that one! that’s awesome. I am a huge fan of people making roadside monuments (that are not just corporate marketing). Very cool concept there!

2 Likes

My local US high school has a small boulder on the property that gets repainted like this by students (presumably) whenever they want. I assume it’s true in a lot of places.

2 Likes

Oh, c’mon! That’s nothing. NYC apartment doors have thicker layers of paint than that! :wink:

Came here for this.
coos

And someone’s gotta try cashing in:
conc
:grinning:

6 Likes

senior-bench-wabash-college-mr-other-me-photography-danmccafferty

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.