A very angry macaque monkey on a motorcycle tried to steal a human child in Jakarta

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/04/a-very-angry-macaque-monkey-on.html

1 Like

Yikes, I think I would lose my shit if I saw an animal dragging a child away so quickly.

6 Likes

I’m fantasizing his plan was to force the kid to live in the jungle, sans clothes, and eat only wild fruit as revenge for him being forced to wear clothes and ride a bike.

7 Likes

If you look closely they are both getting dragged.

10 Likes

Holy shit, I never imagined these monkeys were strong enough to pull a child down a street!

Just, wow! WTF? Why would it even do that??

1 Like

The monkey is not trying to steal the child.
The monkey is on a leash, when the guy holding the leash (you can see him at the beginning) pulls the monkey back, the monkey grabs the first thing it can get hold of, and that is the child.
The man is pulling monkey AND child (the monkey is not even moving its legs when BOTH of them are pulled away).

13 Likes

It’s remarkable that we have developed this awesomely advanced global network of interconnected computers, and use it largely to astonish ourselves with the repeated discovery that goats and monkeys are naughty. I wonder what Gottfried Liebniz would have thought.

2 Likes

I love that the kid just pops up and toddles back to her friends so cooly, like ‘monkeys gonna monkey.’

4 Likes

I really really do not like monkeys. This is disturbing to me.

2 Likes

I don’t know about macaques in particular, but some monkeys can be up to four times as strong as humans of the same muscle mass. That’s why dumbasses who adopt chimps as babies when their cute and immature often abandon them when they grow up to be considerably stronger than their human captors. That’s one thing in species bred for domestication over tens of thousands of years, but in undomesticated species such as monkeys it’s a cruel recipe for tragedy.

10 Likes

Yes, they are crazy strong. Another reason I don’t like them.

My Filipino friend is the same way, and he grew up with them around. Our hatred is our bond!

4 Likes

I like them fine…in the wild (including wildlife reserves) where they belong.

2 Likes

Yeah… I guess like spiders and snakes, they are ok in the wild…

2 Likes

I lived with a macaque (rescue monkey belonging to an exotic animal trainer room mate).
Let me tell y’all, monkey will fuck you up.

Plus she ate my Queen Ida record.

6 Likes

Please don’t play with macaques, especially rhesus macaques. They have teh killer herps. Seriously.

https://www.cdc.gov/herpesbvirus/index.html

3 Likes

I say something similar about robots every time a company demonstrates a huge, super-strong model. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Translation: It’s not my fault, that kid looked like a purse!

Looking for my The Murders in the Rue Morgue copy…

Yeah, I know, that’s an ape in that story. Yes yes, not a m… . Hey, I didn’t even say the word! Come on now, really, I didn’t even THINK the m-word. Now, would you give me back my book?

1 Like

“We don’t talk about the gorilla!”

1 Like

Mrs. Bradshaw? What about her? Melanie is a really nice lady, and her high tea is impeccable.

1 Like