Woman fights to keep her three emotional support monkeys

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/16/woman-fights-to-keep-her-three.html

4 Likes

If that bonnet macaque she’s holding is less than 9lbs I’ll be a monkeys uncle.

15 Likes

Is there any standardized criteria for what constitutes an “emotional support” animal? Or is it simply a self-applied designation for someone’s pet that they’d rather not go without?

11 Likes

I’m thoroughly convinced the Wicked Witch of the West was maligned due to paranoia about her emotional support monkeys and unhealthy obsession with retrieving her sister’s stolen slippers. Dorothy was a criminal.

31 Likes

If it’s not hurting anyone, there’s no need for the world to pile on the snark. It’s hard enough getting through this vale of tears.

If it’s not a good environment for the animals, then I’m not against interventions.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’m wondering if these monkeys needed support also (no, really) after captivity or something, or if they were just plucked out of the wild to serve someone’s desires?

15 Likes

No coat?

15 Likes

My cousin had a monkey. He figured out how to take off his diaper and then proceeded to piss and poop all over the house. Otherwise it was just a menace to furniture and visitors. I can’t think of a worse pet.

18 Likes

X happened to me Y years ago and as such, I have the right to choose and keep whatever support animal I choose. The mere fact that you question my CHOICE of animal means you are trivializing what happened to me. How dare you. blah blah.

Oh, and I need three of them. If I could have more, I would. And I rent.

28 Likes

No mention of a “monkey suite” anywhere in the article?

2 Likes

Monkeys aren’t the best domestic animals, to put it mildly. They can get very aggressive with strangers and act up in general if unhappy. While they can bond with their “owners”, I doubt they’d make great support animals either (and three? really?).

I guess if she can demonstrate with doctors’ letters that she genuinely needs them, this can probably be addressed by some sort of insurance similar to the type that covers dog bite liability (some homeowner and renter insurance covers that to a certain amount, but I doubt monkeys are covered).

Oh yeah, the Ikea hipster monkey. We all need to be reminded of him from time to time.

9 Likes

“Emotional support monkey” is my wife’s nickname for me.

34 Likes

I think it was Jim Jeffries doing a bit where he was like, “Look, I’m not saying a support animal can’t help someone. But if you need more than one, then maybe the animal isn’t the problem. That’s how you end up with a 48th cat because the first 47 didn’t make you happy.”

22 Likes

Reminds me of this. “How dare you not let me take my peacock on a plane!?!?”

8 Likes

They’re based on lab prescription.

lab-results

28 Likes

Nothing to do with the article at hand, but I’ve always wandered, what are the ethics of emotional support animals.

It’s got to be some heavy stuff for the animals to deal with. My cat wouldn’t leave my side for two days after it saw me balling my eyes out watching Grave of the Fireflies. Nevermind actual trauma/PTSD.

15 Likes

I’m having a ruff time enjoying your pun.

5 Likes

“Pictures show they aren’t dangerous”

Donald Trump doesn’t look dangerous, yet here we are.

11 Likes

After a blind date, we returned to her place… shag carpets and I shit-you-not 15 cat pans in the living room , on the couch, under the couch, spilled kitty litter everywhere. Was only THEN she mentions she had 17 cats - “they help me cope” … I turned on my heel and left pronto.

Not everyone has a cookie-cutter solution for what troubles them, and if one of those midget Asian pigs is the ticket and the person is absolutely functional because of that… well, better the pig than a cocktail of mood-disorder pills.

But maybe the news story should have sought comment from a mental healthcare professional to reinforce the therapeutic benefits of A (singular) support animal.

I would also like to see a state-sanctioned permitting process to legally protect those with a genuine need to be accompanied by a trained and certified support animal. If you can’t produce the paperwork, please GTFO Safeway with your purse-based Chihuahua.

12 Likes

Were all the emotional support dogs and cats already taken?

5 Likes