Woman and companion kangaroo booted from McDonald's

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but for all my years of knowing what kangaroos are, and seeing them in zoos and such, can I just say that 'roos are still weird and alien-looking to me?

Fercrissake, female kangaroos have 3 vaginas. That’s weird no matter how you slice it.

6 Likes

What is the current position on different-able people having any support animal they want? I have had problems because places like zoos forbid a folding bicycle which enables bringing on public transit but permit tricycles which are obviously not in any way public transport compatible mobility devices.
@AntaBaka has a point in the blog post that non-working support animal companions might be something that allows a person to qualify them as ADA assistants for severe social phobias but I am concerned that just as there are many people faking out the handycap parking spots so to these DIY service animal people are really screwing those who have a service animal for physical or psychiatric needs.

Generally, there’s a difference between a “support animal” and a “service animal.” Service animals are trained to perform some kind of task, like guiding the blind or detecting when someone is going to have a seizure. Support animals are just living security blankets. Laws tend to protect the right to have service animals in businesses more than they do support animals.

2 Likes

I would add that Kangaroos are actually pretty scary.

At medium range, they are cute, furry, and just lovably wacky, like many of Australia’s freaky quasi-mammal freaks.

At close range, you’ve got the big, liquid, empty eyes and monotonous chewing of a sheep, combined with the body configuration(and nontrivial claws) of something closer to a velociraptor.

Looking at one, it’s hard to keep the Dune quote “A killer with the manners of a rabbit - this is the most dangerous kind.” from bubbling up in the back of your mind, no matter how firmly you remind yourself of the paucity of kangaroo-related-mauling.

8 Likes

First of all, I’m pretty sure a bicycle never qualifies as a support animal. Also, “the position” depends on who you ask. Asking the tax code?

You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist a visually impaired or hearing disabled person, or a person with other physical disabilities. In general, this includes any costs, such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, incurred in maintaining the health and vitality of the service animal so that it may perform its duties.

No mention of emotional disabilities.

I have no sympathy for anyone who actively supports the exotic pets trade. Lady, you live in Wisconsin, kangaroos don’t belong there. It drives me nuts when I hear about hilljacks who insist on owning tigers and bears. Add kangaroos to that list.

2 Likes

All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down

2 Likes

For some reason, I assumed this was in Australia. Although (except for certain species) kangaroos aren’t actually endangered. Apparently they’re kind of like deer, mostly a threat to automobiles.

I’m more concerned about how animals get certified as “support animals.” I’ve heard of therapy cats, and many are actually well-adjusted to being carted around town. But most cats are not like this, and it’s downright cruel to subject a lot of animals to this kind of treatment. Apparently you can get a doctor to write you down for a support animal without the animal itself being scrutinized for fitness in that regard. My friend did this to get her dog on the plane, and she said the doctor never had to see the dog. It makes a mockery of the idea of a support animal, which can actually be helpful for people.

The criteria is only that you can control the animal, not whether the animal likes it or tolerates the treatment well. Of course, your legal rights are more limited with a support animal, and restaurants apparently can refuse to serve you. It only seems to apply to flying and certain housing issues. So I guess that’s the trade-off that comes with the slackness of the process.

Halp, my gluten intolerant service labradoddle is shame humping my leg!

5 Likes

I don’t mean to sound judgmental, but if I owned five kangaroos, I would never eat at a McDonald’s.

11 Likes

Mrs. Vector has encountered this induhvidual and one of her kangaroos previously, because of course you bring your kangaroo with you to the doctor’s office. Mrs. V also had the fun of rooming a patient, only to discover said patient had a pocket full of fucking sugar gliders.

5 Likes

Let’s see; I guess this makes Wisconsin the Queensland of the US; Queensland is the Florida of Australia; which makes Wisconsin the Florida of the north?

4 Likes

Let’s see…
Australian marsupial ejected from McDonalds.
Rampaging animal bites politician.
Asshole Republican governor.

I think you’re on to something there.
Sigh.

1 Like

We already know Rolf is a paedophile. I don’t want to know what else he got up to.

3 Likes

I probably should have specified southern WI… Up north, folks are much more civilized.

2 Likes

Since 2010.

2 Likes

Quite right too - thems kangaroos are good eatin’.

5 Likes

There’s an upcoming comicon that I follow who have recently been fielding a lot of questions about what service/support animals are allowed at the con. Basically, someone wants to bring a boa constrictor and someone else wants to bring a pony, so they’re trying to get the con to recognize them as support animals.