No more emotional-support animals on planes except specially trained dogs if these new FAA rules are approved

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/no-more-emotional-support-anim.html

6 Likes

In an ideal world it would seem that, instead of picking and choosing species and breeds, it would make sense to have a robust certification process that assures the reader that the bearer of the cert is accompanied by a suitably trained animal that the bearer requires to assist with navigating life.

However, in this world - where dentists roll around on hoverboards while extracting teeth and Giuliani still holds a licence to practice law - it’s hard to imagine a robust, impartial, and non-corrupt body which could manage such a process.

19 Likes

The horse in the photo is not an emotional support animal but rather a service animal, in the same category as guide dogs. Miniature horses are the only species apart from dogs which can qualify as a service animal. There’s a rigorous training and certification program. Under the ADA, service animals can’t be turned away at public establishments.

Emotional support animals are a totally different category which includes the peacocks and other exotic creatures we hear about people bringing on planes. The certification process for those is much more vaguely-defined and this is the category which is often abused by the unscrupulous to bring nonessential pets on airplanes.

23 Likes

I have always paid for the extra seat for my pup, that way no questions asked, and no dead k-9 when you open the hot box.

8 Likes

Patricia Marx of the New Yorker wrote a piece about this, the research for which included bringing an alpaca into a drugstore and a pig onto an airliner.

2 Likes

Leaning harder on the owners is unlikely to help. It’s registering and certifying the animals themselves thats going to improve things.

Miniatures horses

7 Likes

I think the certification consists of getting onto Etsy and buying a BS vest or tag.

https://www.etsy.com/market/emotional_support_animal

6 Likes

Perhaps you and your rhino should take the train. Far more ecologically sound, and the rhino will be chuffed.

2 Likes

As long as I can still hit the bars with my Drinking Bird.

6 Likes

It can’t be safe to put a thing like that in a passenger cabin. The restraints don’t exist so in a crash it would become a loose flying object. And how do you handle evacuations? Pick it up and carry it?

2 Likes

My healthcare provider only pays for a pet rock for emotional support, and copay doesn’t cover a nameplate or carrying case.

3 Likes

The certifications would be on the Blockchain and everything would be perfect. /s

5 Likes

Trained service dogs that assist the disabled? No problem. But if you are so emotionally fragile that you feel compelled to drag your iguana or peacock along with you on a trip, I absolutely do not want to be cooped up with you in tight quarters at 30,000 feet for 4 hours.

1 Like

My only qualm with this is then the disabled person could be pestered with “papers please” every time they have their service animal in a public place.

2 Likes

People abusing these policies is why we can’t have nice things.

4 Likes

1 Like

Giant dog?

2 Likes

There were 4 dogs on my last flight. I wasn’t crazy about it but I have to say: they were better behaved than a lot of the passengers.

5 Likes