A very very boring thread

My grandparents live in Boring OR. Most Accurate. Name. Ever.

1 Like

Every one of those positions can be answered with “that’s what she said!”

The reason baseball is better to watch is because it’s:

1.) Generally comprehensible.
2.) Simple enough that it could be explained to a retired pugilist.
3.) There’s no chance of a game lasting six weeks. (although I have sat through a 7 hour game with 20 innings. By that point it should have just been called a tie. It’s inhumane to the players and the crowd.)

But I’m not much of a fan of baseball anyway. It’s too boring and slow paced, and full of breaks. I like soccer a lot better.

Nobody’s ever been able to successfully explain the rules of Cricket to me. Even people who love it. That’s it’s biggest strike against it to me, and why I think it’s an unintelligible bureaucracy simulator.

I’m guessing you wouldn’t have enjoyed this game, which was abandoned after 10 days because England were going to miss their boat home…

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/engine/match/62657.html

The way I see it, a cricket match is more like a baseball series than a single game.

So, what, like spectators just drop in, and take off whenever they feel like it? Is cricket low-key enough that a match lasting five days is more like an exhibition rather than an event?

Pretty much. Unless you’re retired I don’t know how you’d have the time to go to multiple days (not to mention the cost). Normally a day lasts from 11am to 6pm. Lots of people show up, get totally rat-arsed and leave early (but not the real cricket fans - they’re recorded every ball in their scorebooks, just like baseball fans do…)

Hence the popularity of the shorter formats. i.e. 6 hours or so.

I really should try to get to more Sounders games though. Went to the friendly against Tottenham last year, that was pretty good.

I went to the Sounders season opener last year. Was a little disappointing, but I did get to spend some nice time with my old man. We don’t hang out much any more since I started working nights. He and I disagree on a lot of stuff and have some fundamental oppositions to each other, but sports are still valuable common ground, even though we aren’t super fans so much as casual observers.

1 Like

I’ve done all 5 days of Ashes Tests. Book a week off, treat it as a holiday. :beers:

Sheffield Shield matches (domestic first-class long-form) are usually free entry and are pretty decent competition with players who have just retired from International duties, are coming back from injury or hoping to be picked again.

1 Like

I did go to an international Twenty20 in Florida a few years back :smile:

Last game I got to was England Lions vs Sri Lanka at the County Ground in Derby. Most other games I saw were at Grace Road. Not the greatest sporting arenas. You’re spoilt over there. Free entry??

1 Like

Yep. The Gabba will hold about 42,000 and when it’s full, the atmosphere is incredible if you’re supporting the home team. It’s a big concrete bowl with no charm whatsoever.

Shield matches typically attract crowds that can sometimes number upwards of three figures. Which is weird considering I’ve seen dead-set legends play.

LOL @ Wats-a-ton. #ICCWorldCup

1 Like

I don’t generally watch cricket. I can’t do it much now that I need to think about my work, but growing up I’d always listen to the reporting on the radio while doing other stuff at home. Play was slow enough and fielding positions are descriptive enough that the commentators could give you a good idea of what was going on (and the BBC commentators were generally fun to listen to anyway). Cycling seems to work in the same way if you’re able to watch something in the background but can’t listen to it. In both cases, It doesn’t take long to catch up on what actually changed if you’re away for a couple of hours half way through.

In that sense, I suppose they’re other countries’ versions of Norwegian slow TV.

That makes sense. I also meant to qualify that statement to confine it to Americans, but that must’ve slipped my mind.

Anyway, I’m sure cricket’s very enjoyable if you understand it and were raised in the culture, but no matter how hard I’ve tried to understand it, it just looks like partial integrals in a non-commutative algebra to me compared to Baseball’s Euclidean trigonometry.

1 Like

ICHIRO! Maybe the best player, ever. Sure never misses a game.

The bowler’s Holding, the batsman’s Willey.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 735 days. New replies are no longer allowed.