A visit to the museum of hell

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/10/a-visit-to-the-museum-of-hell.html

3 Likes

Whew. Relieved when I read the article. Thought it might be the Trump museum.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill

5 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

Welcome To Hell Swerk GIF

3 Likes

df971022

5 Likes

Obligs:

devil dog welcome to hell

7 Likes

I visited Haw Par Villa back in the early 90s - and it left quite an impression! Totally worth a visit, but it is pretty genuinely disturbing.

3 Likes

I was taken here when I was a kid (my father was in the RAF and stationed in Singapore in the late 60s). I was five years old and this exhibit terrified and fascinated me in equal part.

The whole park used to be known as The Tiger Balm Gardens. From the look of it the scenes are exactly the same as they were in 1967!

I also went to the Taipusan festival at the same age. I feel like these two experiences explain a lot about the person I grew up to be.

4 Likes

I visited about 6 years ago, the whole place was weird and fascinating and just out there. The Tiger Balm link was really interesting, and the statues do feature advertising tie-ins:

Among all the hellfire and damnation, there were a few outdoor pieces that just sparked a “WTF?” response - no idea what was going on here:

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.