A visit to the western-most bookstore in the United States

I’m thinking I’ll wait for Mark to find out if there is still a bookstore in Unalaska. Unalaska is a fair bit further west than Hanapepe. (Even Nome is further west, surprisingly enough.) :wink:

2 Likes

No bookstores in Nome but there is a Christian book store in Bethel, Alaska.

…and that’s still further west than Hanapepe (161°45′21″W vs 159°35′25″W).

I think I’d rather go to the one in Hawaii. Even though I’ve never been to Bethel/Unalaska.

Of course, I’ve never been to Hawaii.

But I’m already in Alaska, so.

5 Likes

Ah… C’explique tout, ça.

I’m in Canada, and spring is taking its sweet time arriving this year. Hawaiian bookstores sound good to me too, and I’m sure that the one in Hanapepe is a lot more fun than the one in Bethel anyway…

2 Likes

So Mark, I have a distant relative who operates a really excellent helicopter tour company there on Kaua’i. He’s retired Air Force, as are all of his pilots, and there are things they won’t do that tourists often ask for (like landing near the waterfalls made famous in Jurassic Park) because they put safety over curiosity. If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll send you a PM with the info.

Even if you don’t use them, two words: Waimea Canyon. Do it.

4 Likes

Good for you! (NOT sarcasm.) Those are two incredible and challenging hikes.

1 Like

So cool! We visited the same store last time on the island. I picked up some SciFi paperbacks for night time reading. My wife seems to think I bought a cook book there too. Nice islanders indeed.

1 Like

It certainly seems so! Christian books stores are probably largely fine things, but I’m not much into that limited a selection.

(Plus any time there are books on dinosaurs, the books are filled with garbage.)

We’ve had sprint three or four times so far, as early back as December. And I really do want to visit the 50th state someday.

Just don’t come here in January or February; the temperature can drop down to the 60s. Brrrr.

5 Likes

Yeah, there was a comic book shop several years back in ‘downtown’ Kapaa, but they had disappeared last time I went back. Lihue had a Borders when that was still a going concern, but I don’t know what took over the space when it folded.

Wasn’t that down the street from Costco?

Thanks, they were pretty tough. I remember on the former we ran into some guys out hunting pigs.

We’ve also done part of the Kalalau trail out past that “gate” you cross through about 5 miles in, then we hoofed it back.
This year we’re mostly going to try and do a ride out along the NaPali coast. We haven’t done that since '08. Though I’m sure my wife will talk me into a hike another day, too… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hanapepe is a great little town and is home to my favourite Hawaiian Shirt maker Jacqueline.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.