A visit to the western-most bookstore in the United States

[Read the post]

5 Likes

google says there’s at least 3 bookstores on guam

2 Likes

“Western-most bookstore in a U.S. state,” then?

4 Likes

well if im going full pedant thats probably in alaska

3 Likes

Nome has Chutkotka, which sells books, but is not exclusively a bookstore.

2 Likes

Probably Nicky’s Place in Unalaska, unless there is something further west in the Aleutians. Nicky’s Place is a bookstore.

1 Like

it looks like a very nice book shop anyway even if they dont stock atalses

2 Likes

I’m trying to find Nicky’s Place on Google Maps. Have you been there?

1 Like

No, straight Google fu, to be honest, Mark. I can’t find Beachfront Road on Google Maps either, but I can find a proprietor, one Abi Woodbridge (who shows up in records as diverse as Vanderbilt University’s), and a phone number (907-581-1570). What I’m seeing is a little up in the air about whether it’s a gift store or a bookstore - I’ve seen it called both.

It also shows up here: The Alaska Bookstore Book (courtesy of Google Books).

Whether it is still in business I can’t say for sure, but there are still a lot of business listings on it.

2 Likes

Fire up the BoingBoing corporate jet

5 Likes

Thanks Pat. I called the number and it’s out of service. I think they changed the name to Curlew books. I’ll keep digging.

3 Likes

Here it says they are on the corner of 2nd and Broadway. https://books.google.com/books?id=c-IGSXX7_n0C&pg=PA420&lpg=PA420&dq=NICKY’S+PLACE+BOOKSTORE+unalaska&source=bl&ots=hxtOgke7pn&sig=xAfaS7DvuwqK1H5p5Z4qTGtlQts&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrtKKl_v_LAhVDOxQKHcpRDfoQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q=NICKY’S%20PLACE%20BOOKSTORE%20unalaska&f=false

1 Like

Not far from the Orthodox Cathedral then
 Actually, pretty much near all the town’s churches, so right downtown as Unalaska counts it. That might be a way of querying - you should be able to get up-to-date contacts for the various denominations.

1 Like

Love this bookstore.
Hanapepe is a great little town - love the art walk on Friday.
We’ll be on the island at the end of this month and plan on a visit at least once there for the art walk and most certainly to visit the book store and to buy a couple bags of fried taro chips around the corner.

1 Like

I recalled bookstores in Kapaa and Hanalei, but it looks like both of them are closed – they would be a wee bit more east anyhows

Guam is on the other side of the 180th meridian and is in the eastern hemisphere. Wouldn’t its bookstores be considered the furthest east?

5 Likes

If you get down to it, the Aleutians are on both sides of the meridian, and have both the furthest west and furthest east points of the US. What might be lacking are settlements with bookstores. :wink:

7 Likes

The visitor center/museum at Koke‘e State Park has a shop which sells books, so Talk Story Books, lovely though it may be, is not the westernmost bookstore in Hawai‘i Nei.

2 Likes

That’s a great place to hike. We’ve done the Alakaʻi Swamp Trail and the Awaʻawapuhi Trail.

1 Like

I’m thinking we can let Hawaii have this one.