A woman will replace Alexander Hamilton on the new US $10 bill

I’m in favor of Virtus, but I’d like most for her to replace Jackson.

I don’t think a person who publicly announced that racism will end when all the old white people die belongs on a nation’s currency…

1 Like

He was also the last prominent U.S. Politician to die in a duel. That’s totally gangsta.*

*Not in a good way, in the literal "those guys are acting like violent gansters" way. Ritualized murder is just one of the reasons we shouldn't over-romanticize the virtues of the Founding Fathers.
2 Likes

Instead of redesigning one of the currently issued bills the government should once again produce bills in denominations of $500 and up. After all, inflation has greatly reduced the value of the dollar by more than a factor of ten since issuance of high denomination bills ceased.

You’re right, how dare she claim racism will ever end. This is America goddammit, we know how to raise our youngins!

2 Likes

We should just be glad we get to use money at all! /s

1 Like

That would be a nice tidy way to make sure most people would never have to actually see a bill that has a woman’s face on it. (Inflation or no, almost no one uses cash for transactions over $100.)

1 Like

First, citation. Second, ethnic cleansers do belong on our money?

So you don’t want an ethnic cleanser on our money…

1 Like

By all means, when the opportunity arises to publicly honor a real woman’s actual acoomplishments, lets make sure to subvert it by suggesting a female personification of an anstract concept instead.

Seriously dude, what’s your google alert?

1 Like

Rules are for the little people, not the Clintons.

Yes, but when they do see a woman’s face it will be worth much more than when they see a man’s face.

Absolutely! Gah, I’m so happy the Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe has started doing a “Forgotten Superheroes of Science” segment, otherwise, I probably would never have learned about Madame Wu (often called the Chinese-American Marie Curie), or Gertrude B. Elion (who received the 1988 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with George H. Hitchings and Sir James Black, for their work on pathogen biochemistry, and whose discoveries would lead to the development of AZT.)

There are tons of women in science who deserve to be memorialized on currency for their vital contributions to human progress. It’s practically an outrage that I was never taught about all these amazing women in history or science classes in school!

4 Likes

This is ridiculous. Hamilton was a good guy, co-author of the Federalist Papers, architect of the American economic system and self made man.

Replace Jackson on the $20. He was a racist psychopath with no respect for the Constitution. He deserves to be deep sixed.

Got milk?
Sorry. That was a damn effective commercial. To this day I can’t hear, or read ‘Aaron Burr’ without thinking of someone’s mouth stuffed with peanut butter.

2 Likes

It’s a shame; Grover Cleveland was perfect for ransom demands in unmarked, nonconsecutive bills.

1 Like

Grace Hopper! Can we do Grace Hopper? Let’s do Grace Hopper!

I’d also accept Rosalind Franklin…but…Grace Hopper!

3 Likes

Among Women of Science, Grace Hopper is definitely on the short list, along with Sally Ride (because we all love our astronauts, they’re modern day heroes), and Florence Barbara Seibert (who developed the vital component for the skin test for Tuberculin exposure. Helping to turn the tide against tuberculosis once and for all.)

1 Like

They could sort of split the difference:

4 Likes

Or Christa McAuliffe. Teacher, check. Astronaut, check (well, almost). Reminder to all the managers that their cost cutting and deadline-pushing can kill, check - especially if the iconic forked cloud is also present on the graphics.

Otherwise I back Grace Hopper.

Now, how to do a grassroots campaign… Bet that the same Noise Brigades that can unite so effectively to depose Nobel laureates will be totally useless here?

1 Like