A woman will replace Alexander Hamilton on the new US $10 bill

We had a web vote on that, asking for Harriet Tubman to replace jackson, but I’ll take her on the $10.

http://www.womenon20s.org/results

If I were ever to be a roller derby player, my derby name would be Rear Admiral Face Stopper.

5 Likes

Can a sitting Vice President be on the money?

Lucy Parsons? Emma Goldman?

2 Likes

My vote is to take do what several other countries have done, and remove real people from the currency. Lady Liberty or Justice would look great on the bill.

2 Likes

The theme has to be Democracy, doesn’t it? So perhaps the first female senator/ congresswoman / presidential candidate /governors, perhaps?

(admittedly, I just googled these names, I’m not terribly au fait with US History)

Hattie Wyatt Caraway
Jeanette Rankin
Victoria Woodhull
Nellie Tayloe Ross

Sadly, what they’re specifically saying is that a woman will “feature” on the $10, alongside Alexander Hamilton. He’ll either remain somewhere on the face of the bill or be moved to the back, which seems like a strange half-assed consolation prize.

1 Like

I’d love* to see the Post-GG twitter-headsplosion that would result from Wilma Mankiller being the name associated with this particular piece of history. Margaret Sanger always seems to make for a nice political shitstorm. In all seriousness, though, were Tubman to actually be selected, my comment would be “Cue someone on Fox News / conservative radio comparing Tubman to a terrorist in 3…2…”

*not the kind that is in your heart…

1 Like

Yeah… I noticed that. So, not what the campaign for the $20 wanted at all.

As up-to-date as a dictionary can be. Merriam-Webster is the premier dictionary of U.S. English, not to be confused with the sketchy, often outdated copy/paste jobs that have used the generic name “Webster” over the last 150 years or so.

Many people seem to use M-W’s 2b definition of currency, unaware of the other definitions.

When I first heard of this that’s the first name that popped into my head.

1 Like

And what a name it is!

1 Like

They recently redid the 20, so there’s less pressure on them to change it since they are updating most of the bills. I agree with you, but I can see why they chose Hamilton.

I’m not particularly gung-ho for this change, but Alexander Hamilton was a serious dickhead. It’s a wonder more people than Aaron Burr didn’t take a shot at him.

Ella Baker.

3 Likes

I wish that they had just announced the person who will be on the bill. Saying that the main requirement for the new bill will be gender is kind of insulting to everyone. So Lizzie Bordon is technically qualified, but not Adams, Lindbergh, or Edison. I am glad that a woman will be chosen, but not that one will be chosen just because she is a woman.

Not as insulting as not having any women on any bills at all is, though.

5 Likes

From What I read elsewhere what’s happening is they’re adding a woman to the bill but also keeping Hamilton on. Kind of a bullshit half measure, but we’ve also not had a bill with multiple portraits on the front in a very long time. And there’s some really good looking US currency that use that set up so its kind of cool too.

He was nearly in other duels. Over politics.

The more I learn about Jackson, the less I want him on the money.