A woman will replace Alexander Hamilton on the new US $10 bill

Is there enough room on the backside of the bill?

3 Likes

The idiots who would say that would say that anyway. It’s not like they have to prepare idiotic statements in advance; they’ve got them all queued up and ready to go at a moment’s notice.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth pointing out the irony that this was originally suggested for the $20, and they’re doing it for the $10. I guess because there’s not a $15.60 denomination.

5 Likes

Phoebe’s my choice

Mary Harris Jones?

1 Like

Ah, so standing/walking Liberty?

2 Likes

I think that there’s an argument to be made for Jackson to stay on the $20.

The man was ruthless and morally despicable, advancing a variety of egregious policies under a banner of crass populism and bellicose expansion. All this is true.

However, the $20 is (at least for the moment) about the best denomination for moving questionable money in modest quantities(anything smaller is too bulky, anything larger is suspicious, and having a Swiss banker or a New York broker handle it for you is Jeffersonian elitism, not the malfeasance of the common man!); and accepted officially and…otherwise…in more places than even the Jacksonian Manifest Destiny nuts would have dreamed.

While it has plenty of legitimate uses, the $20 is the finest bill America prints for modest-scale malfeasance and the transactions associated with it; and the dollar remains among the currencies most broadly accepted and distributed outside their native habitat.

Is there a more suitable place for an ethically dis-inhibited, crudely populist, wildly expansionistic, and deeply criminal president than the world’s finest instrument for conducting ethically and/or legally murky transactions on a modest scale?

It’s the same sort of thing that makes having the FBI’s headquarters named after J Edgar Hoover so appropriate.

11 Likes

Is that definition up-to-date?

1 Like

Seriously…this would be awesome. But they’ll probably put Hilary on it after the coronation.

1 Like

Waaaaaaaaaiiiit a minute. I thought we were talking about treasury bills and not bringing back Dubbya?

Sally Ride, anyone?

She’s recent, but still…

7 Likes

I’m seeing something hazy in my crystal ball…I can just make it out…yes, it’s a throng of fucking trolls who are suddenly huge Alexander Hamilton fans.

6 Likes

Grace Hopper

15 Likes

But they’ll probably put Hilary on it after the coronation.

Actually, there’s a rule that the new person has to have been dead some number of decades.

1 Like

Alexander Hamilton was my history crush in high school. I’ve visited his grave. Why not swap out Andrew Jackson? Why is he even on a bill?

From Wikipedia:

Jackson first appeared on the $20 bill in 1928. Although it coincides with the 100th anniversary of Jackson’s election as president, it is not clear the reason the bill was switched from Grover Cleveland to Andrew Jackson.

According to the U.S. Treasury, “Treasury Department records do not reveal the reason that portraits of these particular statesmen were chosen in preference to those of other persons of equal importance and prominence.”[5]

The placement of Jackson on the $20 bill may be a historical irony; as president, he vehemently opposed both the National Bank and paper money and made the goal of his administration the destruction of the National Bank.[6][7] In his farewell address to the nation, he cautioned the public about paper money.[8]

7 Likes

Well there’s one my crystal ball couldn’t foresee: A genuine Alexander Hamilton lover who makes a reasoned argument fueled by their love of Hamilton to actually raise the profile of the forthcoming woman-bill by upgrading her to the $20, not only a higher denomination, but also the bill that is now basically our standard unit of currency (thanks ATMs…). I cede my remaining time to the Commenter with the actual knowledge of American treasury and presidential history.

ETA: I do hope, though, that in the end this conversation doesn’t revolve around which dude the new honoree ousted, and instead on her accomplishments…

3 Likes

This will be Oprah’s crowning glory.

1 Like

Andrew Jackson was a dick. Can we get rid of him on the 20s instead?

3 Likes

I read somewhere that the 10 is the one that’s due for a change, and the 20 isn’t yet.

1 Like

They mean paper money, not coins that no one uses regularly.