A woman's stalker compromised her car's app, giving him the ability to track and immobilize it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/13/digital-misogyny.html

2 Likes

Not a fan of those apps for just that reason, along with the utter shite security they have.

11 Likes

Yep. Tell me again why I should look forward to implantables? Heck, we have that capability already: has there been a domestic violence case yet where the perp was messing with their target’s insulin pump or pacemaker?

15 Likes

We are, indeed, living in the future of the 1980’s.

3 Likes

Hopefully - she’ll have a bead on his location for a few years.

5 Likes

Sandra Bullock says, I warned you!

Computer crimes like this need a computer punishment – like a brain implant that causes intense pain any time the criminal looks at a computer, smart phone, tablet, TV, etc.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Every time I watch the Enterprise get taken over by a hostile force… (or the US government engulfed by those who’ve promised to dismantle it)

It makes me think about the philosophy of computer access. In this case of motivated stalkers, I would argue the best the manufacturer can hope for, is to make it transparently obvious at all times, who has control of these functions. If it happens to be someone not in the driver’s seat, the driver should absolutely be aware of it in real time.

7 Likes

I really want a self-driving car so I can be at the mercy of this kind of thing.

3 Likes

Yeah, between Doctor Who and Extant, I’ve seen too many scary self-driving car death scenes to feel safe in one.

3 Likes

domestic violence advocate

That’s an unfortunate turn of phrase.

4 Likes

My nickname for the Enterprise D is the USS Flying Deathtrap, and when it was on I scoffed at the idea that an organization able to execute such major feats of engineering would have such a reckless disregard for basic security and safety. What can I say, I was young and I clearly overestimated the prudence of humankind.

4 Likes

might I just remind myself of some valuable snooze modes…
I googled fifth and blue…

I’ll just leave that there… there

Mentioned this to my spouse, and she said, “Or a woman.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.