A wonderful conversation with Jason Mantzoukas about improv

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/21/a-wonderful-conversation-with.html

FYI, he was Rafi in the league

The Mantzoukas experience is incomplete without listening to the How Did This Get Made podcast. Moreso than in scripted TV or even on Comedy Bang Bang, his full-throated reactions to bizarre movies raise speech cadence alone to the highest form of comedy. Also snag season two of the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Podcast before it goes behind the Earwolf paywall!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Jason’s an extremely funny guy, love him in How Did This Get Made. In John Wick 3 he’s barely on screen but it was cool seeing him there :slight_smile:

1 Like

He was also Dennis Feinstein, the “fragrance artist”, in Parks and Recreation – with another UCB alum, Amy Poehler. Some of his fragrances include Toxic, Allergic, and Butterface. I think the funniest fragrance (IMO) was “The Hounds”, which was banned by the FDA. Funniest because it was a great gag – at a public forum, Dennis shouts, “Release the Hounds!”, and his horrible perfume is sprayed on the audience.

Fun fact: Dennis Feinstein’s “real” name was Dante Fiero. He changed it because “Dennis Feinstein” sounds more exotic in Pawnee, Indiana (the setting of the show).

1 Like

It was so good, but man do I wish HDTGM would stop, or at least greatly reduce the live shows. I get it–they make money doing it, and it’s probably a treat for the people in the audience, but they lose so much of what makes the show good. Instead of having an actual conversation among of very smart and funny people where they talk in their normal voices and ideas get space to breathe, there’s so much YOU GUYS THIS DESTROYED ME and a bunch of yelling one-liners for crowd reaction. I want more June, less Seth Rogan wheezing/shouting, dammit!

1 Like

Couldn’t disagree more- Jason gets so much energy from the crowd. Not a huge fan of Seth, though.

1 Like

I hear ya–I generally hate live podcasts because they almost always have a much more performative feel than conversational, but I get that some folks* like that difference.

Also, live shows always bring with them the specter of audience members speaking, which is goddamn atrocious 95% of the time due to the scientific fact that the audience members most eager to hear themselves talk are the audience members with the least interesting things to say.

*sickies, but folks nonetheless

1 Like

I enjoy the live shows as much as i enjoy the ones they do in the studio. I had the pleasure of seeing them live here in Austin a couple of years ago and it was really great :slight_smile: but i have no preference one way or the other, that said i do love having June there because she has some very funny reactions and takes on movies.

1 Like

MAXIMUM DEREK!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.