A world map of your surname's prevalence

Seems unsurprising that my ambiguously germanic/british surname is common in just those places that the Germans and British went. I am surprised that there are only 80K of us though. I’ve met several people that share my first name and last name. One has the same middle initial.

11,500 of us, apparently, mostly in the US

Only 90 or so in the UK, who would all have to be fairly close relatives of mine if that were true (and it might be).

This is what we looked like in the UK the 1880s. We didn’t get around much.

I think we’re swamped by a similar Swiss/Austrian surname that got Anglicised at some time (or some moved to Cornwall, perhaps?). Eventually, lots moved to Mississippi/Alabama. That’s where most people with my name live now.

I do know some fairly close relatives moved to BC and started a town there, 'cos I’ve been there.

2 Likes

Yeah I just tried Edge and that works.

1 Like

Do we have the same last name?

1 Like

Famous because they died honourable in this or that war before spawning? Darwin at work.

only 6000?

Approximately 203 people bear this surname

I’m special. And in combination with my also rare given name most likely an UID. Fuck.

1 Like

Approximately 10,690
people bear this surname

I am surprised there are not more across the pond.

1 Like

I don’t think so, Ms. Pants.

13 Likes

Wow, only 2,600 for me. The best part is that the one in Italy is my family. (I moved across the pond, so I am one of the 2,550 in the US).

2 Likes

This may come as a shock… but /whispers “Pants isn’t my real name!”

16 Likes

lemme guess: it’s your secret identity, Madame Pantalon?

12 Likes

Wonderful stuff. 4,809 for me and my German-in-origin name, including a sizeable number in Brazil which is a total surprise.

I’m having trouble reaching this site…
Until then, I can say I’m fortunate to know a lot of the history of the surnames in my family. We’ve got a couple that have relatively concise and direct linkage back to our European ancestors. But we’ve got some oddballs too…one being Plumb, which went through several changes including (I think) Plume in the colonial era on its way back to early English immigrants. Then there is the Croatian ‘-ovich’ name, which is really the Americanized of the traditional -ović, though the (3rd+) cousins in Brazil all use -ovic, sans accent. And then I think there is a singular cousin there who has an entirely unique variation through errors on paperwork early in her life.

Unsurprisingly there are 2.4 million of my boringly surnamed people around. I’ll have to go and visit the one person on the Faroe Islands with it.

1 Like

(allegedly a locally-assimilated Roma name, it has splendid connotations in German of crappiness and drunkenness, a la “shitfaced” or, more literally, “beshitted”)

Quite the rum fellow, then. I always assumed it was your hip-hop nom de plume, B-Shizzah.

2,6001 for me, but with probably less than four people with my first name…

2 Likes

Not a surprise to historians or genealogists.

3 Likes

According to what I’ve been told my family surname is Scottish but only one person in Scotland has it.

Three people in the Czech Republic share my surname which is interesting because my maternal grandparents came from the Czech Republic–but being on the distaff side have a completely different surname.

3 Likes

I’ve got a lot of surnames to choose from (thanks to having multiple families), but picked the one I’m currently using: 19 total, and they’re all known relatives!

This is mostly due to Ellis Island creative re-naming, of course.

7 Likes

Holy moly, only ~400 people in the world with my surname! I feel rare.

1 Like

Nor my namesakes in South America, I’d imagine.

1 Like