A world map of your surname's prevalence

It is funny how we look up our surname as if we only have 1 family.

FWIW, I looked at my other grandparents’ surnames (the two I care about, the probable bigamist grandfather who fucked off with the tax man in pursuit, abandoning my grandmother and 5 kids can do one - and his surname was too boring and generic to bother looking up anyway), and they’re both pretty rare - 3500 of one, 1000 of the other.

And even then, my maternal grandmother’s name isn’t what it should have been.

No idea what the other great grandparents surnames were.

Wow, less than 550 of us worldwide. I was surprised to see that there are more than 100 people with our surname in the US.

1 Like

Global incidence: 206,983

It says Slovenia is the most dense, but the name and my ancestors are Czech from the Bohemian region.

ETA - found more info:

United States 42,417
Czech Republic 34,949
Slovenia 17,236

Sounds right.

How do you guys find the map? I just found where it does a search for surnames.

1 Like

Mine looks like a map of the Five Eyes countries.

1 Like

Oh no! Our secret is out!

As some of you might have started to figure out, people came to Brazil from all over around a century ago and then hushed about it so a bunch of latecomer gringos wouldn’t crowd the beaches on national holidays.

Fast forward to today (some… stuff happened) and we mostly have cool mutt ethnicities like my own Northern-Italian-West-African-Portuguese-Dutch-Native-(South!)-American one. Or just Brazilian for short.

(Just kidding about the latecomers, we welcome all with open arms.)

3 Likes

Yeah, no map here. :cry:

1 Like

put surname into surname search on http://forebears.io/surnames

Click search. Feel sympathy of the Hamsters running their servers having an aneurysm. See if you get a map up. Maps are now loading most of the time for me, earlier they were not loading at all.

edit: back to no maps for me. url should be something like http://forebears.io/surnames/smith where smith is the surname if you want to try directly and bypass search page (and still get a very busy server) It seems to load the maps within 5 min or so.

1 Like

Hmm it came up with some more info - but no map. No biggie - I can read the chart.

you meant open-bolt arms?

2 Likes

post your name, I will post a map :stuck_out_tongue:

Got it, after a while. Hamster high five! (four?)

6 Likes

20,515 total. Sounds about right.

Germany slightly edges out the US. Odd that they have no meaning for it. It means “high”, but not in the same sense that @beschizza means “drunk.”

High as in “high elf”. Fancy!

Disclaimer: Mein Deutsch ist Kaputt

1 Like

probably more interesting if you aren’t a WASP…

Most posted so far have vaguely fit the “western european origins, but now common all over the Americas, Australia and maybe Russia” archetype. Come on, diversity! Show yourself!

I had Brazil as my second most common place, does that count?

I tried to write this a bunch of times, because it sounds more confrontational that I mean it to be. That said…

Plenty of the diversity in the US, perhaps all of the Americas, wouldn’t show up on this kind of map. The descendants of slaves could view this whole thing differently than the descendants of immigrants who moved freely.

No, because that’s apparently everyone’s result. See above. :smile:

Fair enough. I have a bit of an issue with the wording of “moved freely” considering how many immigrants were escaping desperate poverty, war and who knows what else to make the “pack up the children and leave everything you’ve ever known forever for a strange new land” plan look like the reasonable option.

But yeah, I get your point.

You have a good point about moving freely. It’s not always a choice.

1 Like

Hard to think of anything worse than “chained to the boat as property”, but there were some pretty dire other reasons, for sure.