A would-be robber goes up to the teller, gets cold feet and rips up her note

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/a-would-be-robber-goes-up-to-t.html

6 Likes

“Give me a minute,” she said.

Take all the time you need.

10 Likes

“Give me the money?”

“Give me the money??” That’s how you rob a bank? You think you’ll overwhelm them with your neediness? What you need is some old-fashioned violence, a gun for example.

2 Likes

On Facebook they record your typed but unsent comments.

4 Likes

“Give me a minute” is the best. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that if I set out to rob a bank, it would go about exactly the same way. I’ll bet she’s home feeling great relief now.

6 Likes

Depends where home is. Dollars to donuts, her home situation is somewhat precarious.

8 Likes

Give me the money in my account. Oh wait I forgot the account number. I better stop writing this silly note. god I’m such an idiot I’ll just throw this out here, hope nobody notices.

4 Likes

She made the right choice at the last minute. Seems like something that we really shouldn’t be teasing her about or making her feel bad about.

Technically, she stopped a bank robbery. No one got hurt. Better than most! :slight_smile:

22 Likes

But did she have a gub?

6 Likes

4 Likes
1 Like

Police in Massachusetts are looking for a woman they say intended to rob a bank but got cold feet and left without a penny.

Why are they looking for her then? Can she be prosecuted?

6 Likes

According to a the linked-to police Facebook post, they’re calling it an attempted robbery. That’s obviously bullshit and I expect a good lawyer would get it tossed out, but good lawyers aren’t cheap. As usual, cops smell poverty and circle like vultures.

17 Likes

“attempted” robbery is a misdemeanor.

More than likely though they might also be looking for her thinking she was not acting alone and perhaps was being put up to it by someone more malicious or posing an actual danger/threat.

4 Likes

Well, they’re fishing for whatever they can get. But if they didn’t, they might have to solve real crimes.

Clearly she needs help with whatever circumstances led her to almost attempt robbery, but US cops aren’t in the business of helping people.

8 Likes

FTFY. Seriously…I know the stereotype is to assume all cops are vile malicious bad people out to capture or kill anyone they can. Not all of them. And in this case I would like to hope they aren’t trying to send this person to prison and would like to think they are concerned for her safety and want to help.

We cannot be pessimistic 100% of the time.

5 Likes

We MAY AS WELL be pessimistic 100% of the time.

FTFY.

You honestly believe that the police want to make sure she is okay, as opposed to wanting to arrest her for even thinking about robbing a bank? I don’t.

2 Likes

thank you. i have someone in my family who worked for the police department for decades, and he’s a 100% decent, thoroughly moral individual. i’m certain he would want to find this person to make sure she was ok, not some evildoer out to intentionally ruin someone’s life.

5 Likes

Yes, I read that Amazon’s CS also
"sees’ what you are typing as you type
it (using the Chat function)
So if you’ve typed something nasty,
then back-spaced,
too late!
They See All and Know All
Otoh, supposedly it makes the CS able to respond/resolve your issue ::::::::: faster.

1 Like

No, not all cats are beautiful. But all cops operate within a corrupt system and the communities they fail to serve aren’t interacting with individuals but rather with that corrupt system. If an army invades your village you have a problem because an army invaded your village, not because individual soldiers invaded your village. It’s not pessimism, it’s pragmatism. It’s impractical for the communities at the pointy end of the spear to hope good individual cops will save them from that corrupt system.

I hope that clarifies what I concede was my unclear earlier statement.

9 Likes