A young Harrison Ford stars in Solo: A Star Wars Story

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/18/a-young-harrison-ford-stars-in.html

3 Likes

I know I’ve said this before, but for me characters are as much their voices as their appearance. Han Solo with Harrison’s face but Ehrenreich’s voice remains “not Han Solo” for me. That said, the deep fake is very good and it’s interesting to see what they can do with it these days.

10 Likes

This is insane. What else can I say?

2 Likes

Cool, with this technology, it doesn’t matter how old Vin Diesel gets, we can still keep getting new Fast and Furious films! They’ll just need to load up a concrete mixer with golf balls to record his dialogue.

11 Likes

I don’t understand how these manage to avoid the uncanny valley so successfully—how is this so much better than what Martin Scorsese was able to do with Robert De Niro on The Irishman, even with a huge budget? (Although, yes, the original voice absolutely throws me off completely.)

3 Likes

The Han Solo works for me, the Obi-Wan does not. Probably personal preference bias about the replaced actors, but still.

2 Likes

I had to go back and check to see if Harrison Ford already had that chin scar when he was the right age for this role. Internet says his car accident was 1964, so timeline checks out (at least for the post-Coruscant part of the movie).

1 Like

Are you denigrating Vin Diesel’s voice acting??

9 Likes

Mumble grumble rumble family grumble mumble (I kid because I love).

2 Likes

To be fair sometimes it sounds exactly like a cement mixer:

2 Likes

Also why did we end up with Uncanny Valley Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One? Was this technology just not there yet?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.