AARP exec accidentally gave an honest answer about why "OK Boomer" is a thing

I concur with that assessment.

As a species, we really need a huge infusion of empathy; aging is the one commonality ALL people from every walk of life experience, regardless to color, gender or class.

4 Likes

I had thought that ā€œOK Boomerā€ was a response to the constant barrage of shit memes about the youth being too obsessed with eating Tide Pods to hold down a job, buy a home, etc. while in actuality, the older generations upheld policies and lifestyles that fucked over every generation since while they reaped the benefits

8 Likes

THIS ^^^^^

Diversity of experiences makes us better people. But no one can do and experience everything. Thankfully we can share and learn from others and grow collectively.

That was my take as well. Iā€™m am glad they are standing up to those bullshit memes finally.

8 Likes

AFAIK, youā€™re correct.

Itā€™s not like Millennials ā€œfired the first shots;ā€ many boomers have been talking trash about them and making snide remarks about ā€˜woke cultureā€™ and ā€œavocado toastā€ for the longest now.

Another cliche my Gram was fond of sharing;

Donā€™t dish it, if you canā€™t take it.

10 Likes

Great episode or greatest episode?

4 Likes

When people are being deprived of their life and liberty or other basic human rights based solely on the fact that they were born between 1946 and 1964, itā€™ll be that kind of a problem. Because that is the reality of those other words.

Itā€™s not about an Oppression Olympics, but as you said there is a large difference between having your opinions dismissed after you dismissed everyone elseā€™s and the historical usage of the other terms to which certain people are comparing it.

10 Likes

I said she should have said it. I didnā€™t say it was accurate. At least encouraging people to vote is more aspirational than pointing out the financial differences.

Iā€™ve been surrounded by people in their 20s since I was that age, which is a very long time ago. In my experience, the differences between generations are mainly at the margins, and have always been grossly distorted by the media.

Just to underscore this with some data, hereā€™s time-adjusted income for different generations, stratified by level of education. Seems that the Gen-Xers are the ones best off, followed by Millenials, with Boomers a distant 3rd.

And while I agree with the above sentiment that Gen-Zers are inheriting a world in ecological crisis, it is worth noting that when I was in my 20s you couldnā€™t breathe in many American cities and rivers caught on fire.

Those Millennials canā€™t be ageist. They canā€™t leverage the state and its national and municipal counterparts for gain because of their perceived bigotry.

And Millennials can be bigoted towards selfish, rich, arrogant rick pricks that arenā€™t afraid of the public. But they donā€™t have the power to be ageist.

Donā€™t worry folks. Weā€™re humans- so thereā€™s always enough stupid for everyone.

Let the games begin!

4 Likes

The only high school reunion I ever went to was the 4 year reunion because I happened to be in town that weekend visiting family. I was shocked at how many of the people had gone from a high school mentality to middle age mentality in only 4 years. The article you linked to is a pretty good summary of what i saw 20ish years ago. I donā€™t want to know what they are like now.

3 Likes

ā€œOK Boomerā€ is never going to outdo "Millennials are killing Xā€ because the old are obsessed about youth, and the youth are obsessed aboutā€¦ other youth.

The fact that some youngster actually spared enough time to come up with a response to my demographicā€™s complaints about ā€œkids these daysā€ actually saddens me. Itā€™s an indication that somebody actually listened us oldsters rail on long enough to get irritated instead of being so properly self-obsessed (like we were) that they didnā€™t even notice us jabbering.

3 Likes

OKB now hitting metameme stageā€¦

12 Likes

It was Jack Weinberg of the Berkeley Free Speech Movement who said ā€œDonā€™t trust anyone over 30ā€ .

Abbie Hoffman was born in 1936. While he died young enough to be relatively ā€œeternally youthfulā€, he was almost 30 when Jack Weinberg said it, and was no boomer.

Heā€™s an example of how things often played out in the sixties, people a bit older taking on leadership while the boomers provided a mass to follow, more or less.

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of a tail end boomer, born in 1959. So I turned sixty last monty, I guess that makes me a senior citizen. Iā€™m not sure how the age skews, the peak of boomers came later rather than early.

The only thing that turning sixty meant was I can get some senior discounts, for fifty years the boomers have made change, including how to grow old. So I didnā€™t have to wear different c!othes or act differently on turning sixty.

So I was too young to be part of the sixties.

But Iā€™venever driven a car, never had a license and after about age fifteen rarely got into a car.

A friend and I invented bime paths in 1970, we saw aneed, thought up the solution, and were unaware of such things elsewhere. It was a few months after Earth Day, lots were concerned about the environment.

I havenā€™t eaten meat in forty years. It was hard to make the transition, because it wasnā€™t common, but it was easier than a decade before. So there have been decades of change to make it easier for people to give up meat. You donā€™t have to go out of your way to find ā€œnatural foodā€ and lots of people as role models.

Iā€™ve been arrested for civil disobedience, I walked to New York City in 1982 for nuclear disarmament.

Iā€™ve bought most things used through my life, Iā€™ve never had much money, which means living lightly.

Lots of people in the sixties droooed back in in tge seventies, but with a midified world view. They became entrepreneurs so they coukd control their businesses, and some started vegetarian restaurants. Some started businesses in their garages which eventually became big business.

Lots of boomers old enough were part of the civil rights movement, facing real threat but changing the world. ā€œBlack lives matterā€ is an extension of that, because police abuse and killings stem from the concept that some people donā€™t matter.

Shiukd I mention the anti-war movement? Some of it was over tge too, but plenty of people aent to jail or exile for what they believed in.

In the sixfies you could do lots that was illegal, intermarriage, sex without marriage, drugs, endless things which gradually became legal or"normal". This wasnā€™t a narcistic bunch, they changed the world so much that itā€™s hard to see the changes unless you lived through it.

You canā€™t go back and blame boomers for global warming since itā€™s relatively new, and while some may decisions for most it was just something to live through.

Thereā€™s probably more.

As an.aside, I wanted a comouter when I was nine. I couidnā€™t afford one in 1975 when home computers took off, but I got my first computer in 1979. Thereā€™s never been a time since when I didnā€™t have a computer. ā€œWeā€ invented it all, we may not be ā€œdigital nativeā€ but collectively created it all, and questioned as things came along. Comouters werenā€™t handed to us.

nobody ever did

whatever you were already wearing is now old people clothes

7 Likes

10 Likes

(Apparently) Millennial here, looking forward to all the ā€œOK boomerā€ and ā€œboomers destroyed our future!ā€ people getting old themselves and experiencing the next generationsā€™ ā€œOK Millennialā€ and ā€œyou were just social media slacktivists instead of doing anything!ā€ and ā€œyou let Facebook and Twitter destroy society as we know it!ā€ and whatnot. ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

3 Likes

snl-gen-x

6 Likes