Abandoned freighter drifts close to Dutch shore

Originally published at: Abandoned freighter drifts close to Dutch shore | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Dutch Navy: here’s your target practice!

12 Likes

I can almost guarantee that a salvage ship is circling it, that’s about $500k in the salvage yard, that steel is worth cheddar folks.

12 Likes

I think I saw that episode of the X-Files. Scully makes eyes at Mulder in this one…

4 Likes

I was hoping this was a metaphor for the GQP, but, … too soon~

10 Likes

So the Flying Dutchman lost it masts over the years.

2 Likes

Unless the bulk cargo is very light, it looks like it is running empty and NOT showing much water. Unless the ship lost all steering control and engines/electrical, the call to abandon ship looks premature.

On the other hand, I would expect an exhausted under-count crew not be that willing to stay, especially if the weather forecast called for increased weather.

I look forward to reading the incident reports.

3 Likes

FREE RECYCLED STEEL!!

(be a glass-half-full kind of guy there, Netherlands!)

2 Likes

Time to call in the Sea Cowboys!

(fascinating read btw…these salvage crews are absolute badasses. Wish Hollywood would do some stories like this.)

4 Likes

Definitely looks to be riding pretty high compared to photos with stuff in it.

Sounds like engine room was flooded when it was holed, though. That was probably game over.

4 Likes
3 Likes

It could be a trap though.

2 Likes

Update: She’s been towed into Rotterdam! https://twitter.com/space_osint/status/1488522540100329478/photo/1

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.