Images from inside Hyundai's capsized cargo ship of waterlogged cars and trucks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/images-from-inside-hyundais.html

5 Likes
5 Likes

Is the top image from the same set? if so what happened to the tires? All the other shots show the tires

2 Likes

It’s been reported that a fire had broken out onboard, must have been in that particular area.

4 Likes

Makes sense, seeing that the windows and plastic body trim is largely missing from those vehicles, and the aluminum alloy rims appear partially melted on one or two of the vehicles.

3 Likes

If they could retrofit them into being boats, they could just pilot them back to land.

4 Likes

Here’s a great Long Read about a previously capsized vessel full of new cars and the subsequent salvage effort:

1 Like

IIRC there is a sunken wreck full of Dodge Colts that sank in 1972 in Barkely Sound off the West Coast of Vancouver Island that can be visited by experienced divers. It’s always been a goal of mine.

Interesting animation of the reclamation project, including a container-ship-sized chainsaw with “500-ton auxiliary blocks.”

3 Likes

Also looks like some movable decks dropped at some point, now resting atop vehicles. Given that the ship is on its side, the compression of the deck upon the cars likely explains why they aren’t just piled upon each other.

1 Like

I love that BB users can answer all my questions about an article in just one hour! :hugs:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.