Academic freedom grifters rally around a new anti-transgender "disease"

Welcome to boing boing, new comrade.

20 Likes

jon-snow-slurps

19 Likes

16 Likes

Those asswipes aren’t even doing science, let alone bad science. Bigots be bigoted. Whether it’s “race science”, “gender science”, “climate skepticsm” - it’s just their bullshit cover to be an asshole.

Claims made without basis of evidence can be dismissed without requiring the refuter to present evidence.

23 Likes

tumblr_mw5zn4F1ww1s8xhdbo2_r1_500

11 Likes

Pretty much… people slapping “science” on their work to give it a veneer of objectivity and to invoke a sense of authority.

As if science ever happens in a vacuum.

16 Likes

Yeah… no science was “addressed” because there was none therein.

16 Likes

Protip: if Jesse Singal retweets somebody, they’re a fucking transphobe like Jesse Singal.

8 Likes

So untrue, there is a scientific answer for all of this, but… it only works on spherical trans people in a vacuum…

[I’m trans, please don’t put me in a vacuum!]

17 Likes

@yosh @Melz2 @Pensketch

And some of us who are trans folks and are also health professionals argue that, like pregnancy, transgender is not a disease, yet there is still a role for medicine it.*

* Not all trans folks do medicalized transitions a la hormones, surgeries, etc.

23 Likes

Speaking as an epidemiologist: not all diseases are infectious. You don’t catch type I diabetes from someone, for example.

13 Likes

I promise not to do that… unless you’re in a space suit about to do a space walk, that is!

Yes, that. Also, things like some of the hormonal effects of aging on women. Many women begin to take hormone supplements once they hit menopause, but menopause itself is not a disease, it’s just a stage in a person’s life.

[ETA] Also, it sounds like these people who are writing this work are getting together to plan strategy specifically aimed at pathologizing trans people. We should be moving the other way, in trying to understand natural human variation in gender identity. The binary mode has never been accurate.

16 Likes

I have published in PLoS ONE: the review there has been among the more stringent I have experienced, compared with, for example, Elsevier and other for profit publishers.

9 Likes

5 Likes

Seems to me that lots of aspects of being human have medical roles in place.

I object to the term as a descriptive because of the inherent negative connotation of the word “disease.”

Just as you can’t catch or ‘cure’ “being Black,” you can’t ‘catch or cure’ being Transgender.

10 Likes

His look when the drink finally gets there is so pure!

4 Likes

So are we all going to start referring to ‘puberty’ as ‘rapid onset gender euphoria’ now?

It’s just totally inexplicable why someone might find a dissonance between their physical and their identified gender much more salient relatively rapidly. We don’t have an example of that in the cisgendered case so commom that it’s pretty much an expected event or anything. Must be deviant.

13 Likes

Strong emphasis for both of us in the use of “some” and not all :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I thought that was my special time in the shower? TMI?

13 Likes

Hey, I’m the Hubble Telescope, you insensitive clod.

8 Likes