Accidental killer talks about living with guilt

Had exactly this discussion with a war vet around guns and how shootings are so commonplace in television drama. This guy took me out to a pistol shooting range which had a profound impact on my understanding of the mortal power of the single gun shot.

2 Likes

This is a point worth repeating. Many of us probably have the token hot head in our group, and sooner or later it will be on us to hold him (it’s always a him) back. My core friend group was with our hot head guy during a minor automotive close call and he stormed over to the other driver seeing red. We all saw this wasn’t going to end well and hauled his ass back from the situation. To me, that’s real friendship. We prevented him from making a horrible mistake that might have ruined multiple lives.

The dudebro notion of “having your back” is not friendship. It’s enabling toxic masculinity.

7 Likes

I have a friend who used to be like that. Shit childhood and a brief, unglorious stint in the army made him an angry young man. He’d fight cops (multiple) at the drop of a hat, never mind ordinary people. Fortunately, he doesn’t any more, and he’s a happy, successful creative person now. Took ten years or so to get there though.

2 Likes

Not to mention, speaking of misrepresenting things as harmless on TV, that the reason BA doesn’t want to fly is PTSD from his time in Vietnam. Which is also why Murdoch is entertainingly “quirky”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.