Ace Marks is making high-end dress shoes affordable

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/17/ace-marks-is-making-high-end-d.html

1 Like

put some socks on goddamn it.

22 Likes

Only $300-$400 for baby cow skin shoes? Thank fucking christ for the BBstore.

11 Likes

What the fuck is this fresh hell?

7 Likes

Hmm…not sure those two things go together any more than using factory “technology to create world-class, handcrafted footwear” would. However, a look at their website doesn’t seem to show anything related to “high technology” in the manufacture of the shoes.

2 Likes

I thought Ace Marks is what bullies at scout camp claim to have seen in your underwear

2 Likes

I could have saved a click if it had just specified “men’s” in the title.

3 Likes

“Karl Ace Marks is making high-end dress shoes affordable”

Come the revolution, comrade! We’ll totally be owning the means of production!

4 Likes

You can buy the socks with all the money you’re saving!

8 Likes

Hmm, I always assumed the term “high end” to refer to cost, not quality. High end and affordable doesn’t track with me. YMMV.

2 Likes

Ha! I came to say exactly the same thing. Why do certain men think everyone wants to see their ankles?

3 Likes

don’t worry, these shoes are also not affordable.

7 Likes

Blake construction isn’t really high end.

You want a Goodyear welt for that price.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. And these shoe industry guys seem to have a far more flexible definition of what an Oxford style shoe is, than most shoe companies (in the UK) that I’ve ever bought from.

And why do all shoes today have to have a pointy toe that is about an inch or two further forward than the big toe? (Guaranteed to make you trip on stairs unless very careful.) What’s wrong with a more rounded toe to the shoe?

Oh, ‘fashion’ you say. Fuck fashion.

8 Likes

But also, why can’t I find shoes like this for women? They’re always a “women’s version” with high heels or oddly chunky soles with wide welt stitching. All I want is a comfortable, classy brogue with a blake welt in a women’s fit. Why is that so hard to find?

3 Likes

Not in the least wanting to kick something off here, but does that just mean ‘in a women’s size’, or are women’s feet different in shape? Slightly surprised you couldn’t just buy a smaller-sized pair of men’s shoes (or older kids’ school shoes? Maybe men’s sizes don’t go small enough for you?) But maybe I’m about to get an education.

Or - another random thought just occurred - a women’s military outfitters?

1 Like

Their prices are what I’d expect for a high-quality shoe, so no surprises for me there.

I have learned over the years that if you can afford a big price like that, buying shoes that will last for years is, over time, more economical than buying cheaper shoes much more frequently. And if you can resole said pricey shoes, you can easily double or triple their lifespan.

But a lot of folks don’t have that kind of $$ or credit on hand, and are stuck with the old it-costs-more-to-be-poor paradox of capitalism.

2 Likes

Women’s feet are different but also the shape of a woman’s shoe is different from a man’s. Men’s shoes tend to emphasize the length of the foot and women’s tend to try to make your feet look smaller. Photos of shoes for sale online are often just photos of the shoe without anyone wearing them and you can still tell which are women’s shoes.

Wearing men’s shoes looks like you’re wearing men’s shoes. It’s very much like wearing a smaller size of a men’s shirt. It’s not that you can’t put it on but it sure doesn’t look like a shirt tailored for a woman.

I’m not sure why a military outfitter would sell brogues or really any dress shoe.

2 Likes

The no-socks look (along with popped collars) marks you as a schmuck.

4 Likes

[pedantry]
It’s ok – since they’re wingtips, they are (strictly speaking) not dress shoes, “high-end” or otherwise.
[/pedantry]