ACLU issues advisory: "Traveling to Texas may result in violation of Constitutional rights"

TBH, there should always be a travel advisory in place for Texas.

3 Likes

Just break out a loser…sorry Confederate flag and you’re good!

2 Likes

near ennis or west?

Bolding mine

That’s one way to reduce the reporting of crime in immigrant communities.

1 Like

I don’t know the area well, I know the farm house my grandpa grew up on was near Flatonia.

That would make too much sense!

German & Czech immigrants to Texas are why the state till has some great local beer!

1 Like

A Texas ID anyway. I know some states, like California, do issue driver’s licenses to people who need to drive, regardless of their immigration status (for good reason).

Thanks for the link. My issue is that it seems really hard to prove a negative. So, basically, if the Federal agencies say yeah, Someguy has a deportation order, then Someguy is in trouble, but if Federal agency says “Never heard of him,” it’s all good?

I just hope “Someguy” isn’t a common name in a country from which people come to the US illegally.

This is basically punishing/forbidding Austin from being a sanctuary city.

It really chaps the Texas GOP’s collective asses that they have to govern from a liberal enclave like Austin, and they rarely miss an opportunity to punish the city for it. (And all large Texas cities, which tend to lean liberal with the possible exception of DFW.)

2 Likes

If Someguy is in custody and is subject to an “immigration detainer” then the “immigration detainer” must be honored unless Someguy can show a government issued id saying that Someguy is a citizen or has lawful immigration status. This law doesn’t say anything about whether or not Someguy may still be held. I suspect that is the subject of other laws and policies.

I don’t know if a “deportation order” is considered an “immigration detainer”–I suspect not. A deportation order is issued by a judge after a judicial process. An immigration detainer only requires that there be probable cause for believing Someguy is removable.

1 Like

That sounds blatantly illegal. Pretty sure the Attorney General would file an injunction. Oh, wait–

Nope. Instead he initiated a preemptive lawsuit. “on Sunday, Paxton filed a lawsuit — known as a complaint for declaratory judgment — asking a federal court to declare the law constitutional.” from: Ken Paxton looks to get ahead of legal challenges to "sanctuary cities" ban | The Texas Tribune

That is specifically aimed at the Travis County Sheriff. She really pissed Abbott off.

1 Like

Weird statement, since I clearly said that this law is written so that it CANNOT apply to witnesses or victims of a crime.

[quote=“bheerssen, post:28, topic:100761, full:true”]
It really chaps the Texas GOP’s collective asses that they have to govern from a liberal enclave like Austin, and they rarely miss an opportunity to punish the city for it. [/quote]

For some reason “hands off government” plays really well in small towns. But “mind your own damn business and let us run our own city” somehow doesn’t.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.