Actor Burt Reynolds has died at 82. Here are some of our favorite clips from his work

Didn’t he physically abuse Loni Anderson while they were married?

7 Likes

Well, there it is.

11 Likes

I was thinking that I remembered hearing some rumors about him abusing someone in the past, so it’s possible.

6 Likes

Green grass & high tides old fella’!

3 Likes

I didn’t open myself to new writers or risky parts because I wasn’t interested in challenging myself as an actor. I was interested in having a good time.

Yanno, I would have made exactly the same mistake. I usually do.

2 Likes

The Last Movie Star (2017) was an excellent movie. He played an old washed up movie star.

3 Likes

I’m starting to think ain’t nobody from our childhood is going to slip through without getting caught (and rightfully so).

7 Likes

We’re all human… which means we’re all fallible as fuck; because contrary to what we like to tell ourselves, the entire species is deeply flawed.

15 Likes

“I may not be the best actor in the world,” he concluded, “but I’m the best Burt Reynolds in the world.”

Hope they buried you in a black Trans Am.

5 Likes

I have to confess: I love Smokey and the Bandit. You can take the boy…und so weiter.

2 Likes

I come to praise his voiceover work in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, a standout among many great actors there (Luis Guzman, Dennis Hopper, Lee Majors, William Fichtner, many more).

1 Like

My fave Reynolds movie is “Sharky’s Machine,” a neo-Noir with a great cast, gritty action/stunts, Henry Silva’s bonkers villain, and one of the coolest opening helicopter shots (of late 1970s Atlanta) ever filmed.

RIP Burt.

edit: correcting the spelling of “Sharky”

6 Likes

My uncle Stephen still rocks a Burt 'stache (or, a Bob Carrolgees one, if one is feeling less charitable)

2 Likes

Yes. Thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes

Burt also directed it. I’m surprised it’s not better remembered.

4 Likes

I’ve been going though a bit of mid-life ennui on this sort of topic. I just binge watched the first 3 seasons of Three’s Company as I was getting into the process of shaking up my older memories. Watching something familiar and yet it feels like it is from an alien world. In the 40 years since I watched this (Possibly less as I may have watched this in reruns 30 years ago) I came out gay and it’s kinda weird looking at the 70s mico-agression references to gay.

Still, John Ritter was so damn cute and nice and fun to watch I can forgive many sins there.

5 Likes

I just worry about the hagiography effect when a celebrity dies, you know what I mean?

3 Likes

My fave is The Longest Yard. The real version.

2 Likes

I hear ya. The whole premise of the show was pretty misogynistic and homophobic when you think about it:

“Two (presumably) straight attractive women and a straight attractive guy can’t all live together under one roof, even if they all pay rent - what would the rest of the neighborhood think???

But I also am willing to forgive that show a lot of its many shortcomings, because John Ritter will always have a special place in my heart.

Totally; I hate it how many people try to ‘deify’ someone when they die - especially wealthy or famous people.

5 Likes

When DID America decide it was bad to get drunk and hit people, anyway?

Serious question. It was sometime after I was born, and before now.

1 Like