Adam Savage nerds out for 8 minutes over a can of vintage tapping fluid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/26/adam-savage-nerds-out-for-8-minutes-over-a-can-of-vintage-tapping-fluid.html

5 Likes

This is the sort of thing that makes me love watching Adam Savage. He’s knowledgeable, likable and so genuinely enthusiastic that it is infectious.

4 Likes

For those wondering, Moly D is still on the market, it’s good for tapping gummy materials like stainless and titanium. It’s a mess to work with because it’s full of molybdenum disulfide, which stains skin easily, and good luck getting it out in laundry.

2 Likes

“Friction’s Greatest Enemy”

5 Likes

The only tapping fluid you’ll ever need.

3 Likes

Seems to lack the charm of the original, though…

3 Likes

I have to fight myself not to collect old tins and packaging.
One thing I do have is the (actual) can of food grade Sulpher that my Grandmother was gifted by her mother-in-law when she had her first child (in 1948). “A spoonful every Friday will keep him healthy.” It stayed in the back of her pantry unused until she gifted the can to me sometime in the early 2000’s.

7 Likes

So, it’s like the Dr Bronner’s of the workshop?

1 Like

Dad was a mechanic / auto body guy and my brother inherited his tap and die set so I understand what is meant, but perhaps for the general Boing Boing reader an explanation of what “tapping” means would be helpful?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.