Adam Savage's favorite tools: Handheld Sheet Metal Brake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/adam-savages-favorite-tools.html

3 Likes

Cordless saws-all, that dam thing is awesome.

2 Likes

This was fun:

4 Likes

Them occasionally featuring fave tools isn’t a new feature, granted in the past they did most of them in the holidays but they did occasionally show off stuff throughout the year… it was just more sporadic. Pedantic tendencies aside i did see this video earlier and also thought the tool great.

Indeed it was.
His unabashed sense of joy in the process is what makes his videos worth the time.

6 Likes

The modern day Roy Underhill?

More please!

1 Like

Handheld brakes are awesome! I’ve fabricated a few specialized brakes in my days as a locksmith and when doing the odd home project.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that handheld brakes were a thing till I was framing out my in-laws basement (with steel) and my father-in-law busted one out. Like most tools using the right tool for a job makes such a big difference and I wish I’d known about handheld brakes previously.

I get lots of joy using my cordless super-hawg. After struggling with an underpowered right angle drill for years getting the real deal was amazing. The first time you hog a 3" hole through 3" of lumber over your head without a pause super fast is amazing.

2 Likes

I have one of these, but I didn’t realize it was for bending sheet metal; I bought it for gripping wide elastic upholstery belts, a job at which it is excellent.

1 Like

You are not a real Maker unless you have at least one black and blue fingernail.
It’s the “did it myself” merit badge.

3 Likes

As do I, I thought it was for holding sheet metal while welding (which I’ve never used it for).The problem with both this and the vice for bending is the throat depth only allows for a couple of inches. (Desperately trying to avoid a sex comment!)

2 Likes

How much did Irwin pay him for this video?

1 Like

If he’s not getting paid he should be because I want one (or two) RIGHT NOW!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.