Adobe Flash was good, actually

All I know is it gave us HomestarRunner.com and the wonderful Strong Bad emails.

ETA and Zombocom but that now has a non flash site.

6 Likes

A few animated classics from back in the day, rescued by YouTube…

Miss Muffy & the Muff Mob
Radiskull and Devil Doll
Queer Duck
Mr. Wong

2 Likes

The sad thing about that is you lose the clickable easter eggs in the flash toons.

5 Likes

Good news Flash fans - about a month ago Xfinity started requiring Flash to use its streaming television interface. Comcast certainly never fails to astonish its customers.

6 Likes

Quite possibly the best Flash applications

3 Likes

They probably still are. Microsoft installs its own copy of Flash under the Windows directory, with no uninstall. Worse yet, third party software can still access it.

I guess it’s time to check to see if they put it back yet. eta: Nope, so far.

3 Likes

It was the best of times, it was the peanut butter jelliest of times…

3 Likes

Flash was “good” because it brought us Homestar Runner. Period. Period.

I’d love to catch up on some of the “newer” Homestar Runner videos, but god damn Youtube makes it impossible to browse videos unless you just want Russian race-war propaganda. Hell, it takes me ages some time to find my own goddamn videos.

At a restaurant for breakfast the other day, and I swear to god the deaf, dum-fuk blowhard geezer babbling two tables over actually said “Well, I saw on Youtube…” every third sentence.

Gotta admit, having to click every goddamn thing did get old after a while.

3 Likes

I had dial up and flash took so long to load I would just give up. Not to mention frequent browser crashes. Then I switched to Linux. For me just a general pain in the butt, and for what, fancy graphics? No thanks.

1 Like

All Your Base is a real nostalgia trip for me. A true gem from the early days of Internet memes, before they were weaponized to destroy democracy.

5 Likes

The worst thing about flash for me was the frequency with which it would kill the entire browser process, was before browsers had per-tab process isolation.

3 Likes

And quality. Flash is a vector format so you’re inevitably getting a worse copy when you export it as a video file.

4 Likes

I had to make a lot of Flash games/cartoons at one of my old jobs, and one of them was for Keebler. They wanted a Flash game for a new site that would celebrate their many fudge-covered cookies. So I worked with a very talented developer and we proposed a game where you’d surf down a river of fudge to get to the Keebler Elves’ hollow tree. They loved it, so we prototyped it, then developed the finished game and sent it to Keebler. The next day they told us the project was cancelled because it ‘violated their brand standard’. The brand standard person told me, “this game violates our #1 rule: The Elves’ fudge must never touch the ground.

13 Likes

“The Elves’ fudge must always be packed tightly in a hermetically sealed space.”

5 Likes

7 Likes

It was one things that was the icing on the excellent cake for Strong Bad emails.

2 Likes

The answer to “will people be willing to wait 30 seconds while the JRE spins up to watch a cutesy animation” turned out to be a resounding no. And that’s before Sun switched the plugin security model to “never run without three trips to StackExchange and dicking around with obtuse configuration pages”.

I would also like to thank Apple for killing off Flash with the iPhone.

4 Likes

Literally came here just to say the same thing. Nothing beats the original Homestar site and the easter eggs inside SBemails.

3 Likes

This seems like something Archive.org is probably working on. Some sort of in-browser VM which lets you run flash safely.

2 Likes

And you’ll need to do it again in 3.1 nanoseconds.

1 Like